Impressions

Draco's POV

Being back at the manor is fairly miserable despite my mother's efforts to be cheerful so I am grateful to get out of the house and do some shopping with Hermione. I get there a little early so I sit at one of the tables in the leaky cauldron. She walks in a few minutes later with a huge smile on her face and suddenly that's the only thing that matters.

'What's got you so happy?' I ask, grinning back at her.

'Nothing, I'm just happy to see you,' she replies.

'Okay, I'll take that.' I don't press it any further. 'So where do you think we should start?'

'I've got a list.'

'Of course you do.'

***

We work our way from store to store, ticking off everything on Hermione's list. Thanks to the anonymity of our scarves and beanies we blend in with the rest of the shoppers and if any recognise us they are far too focused on finding their own last minute presents to bother us.

We had organised to go back to Hermione's house for dinner tonight so I get more and more nervous as the day goes on. I'm not sure how much Hermione has told them about me and I am debating whether to ask her about it when she brings it up.

'Are you nervous about tonight?'

'A little bit, yeah,' I admit.

'I've never really talked to my parents about you before so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. It'll be a clean slate.'

'But then I need to tell them. They should know what I did.'

'You can tell them if you want but at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what they think. It's my decision, not theirs.'

'I just want them to like me.'

'I'm sure they will.'

I start to agree with her but then I remember something.

'Hermione, do muggles usually get each other presents when they go to each other's houses?'

'Um sometimes yeah. We can stop at a muggle shop and get something on the way there if you like. I think I have some pounds with me.'

'Pounds? Like the measure of weight?'

'It's also the name of the muggle currency. We only use it in Britain though. Different countries use different currencies.'

It all sounds very confusing but I bring my focus back to a present.

'So what do I need to get to impress your parents? It doesn't matter if it's expensive.'

'Just some flowers and chocolate will be fine,' she says.

'Are you sure? That doesn't seem like much.'

'Yeah, definitely no more than that. What sort of things do purebloods get each other?'

'Oh we got all sorts of things; magical plants and animals, enchanted portraits, potions and plenty of dark artifacts too I suppose,' my voice trails off.'

'That was your father, not you,' Hermione reminds me. 'Anyway the flowers and chocolate will be more than enough for my parents.'

***

Half an hour later I am standing outside the door of the Grangers' neat, two-storey, suburban house, holding a bouquet of lilies and the biggest box of chocolate Hermione would let me buy.

Hermione knocks, we hear footsteps from inside and a man who must be Hermione's father opens the door.

'Ah hello! Come in, it's freezing out here,' He says.

We cross the threshold and he closes the door behind us.

'That's better. He turns to face me. 'So you must be Draco.'

'Yes. It's a pleasure to meet you sir. I just brought you a small present to thank you for having me to dinner.' I present the flowers and chocolate.

'Thank you that's very kind,' he says, accepting the gifts, 'and please call me Robert. Come through to the lounge. I think dinner should be ready in 20 minutes or so.'

Hermione and I hang our coats and scarves on the hooks in the entrance and follow Mr Granger through a door leading off to the left of the hall. We are just about to sit down when Hermione's mother appears in the doorway we just came through. She walks over to us and Hermione introduces me.

'Mum, this is my boyfriend Draco.'

'It's lovely to meet you Draco, I'm Mary,' she says warmly.

'It's lovely to meet you too Mary,' I say shaking her hand. Using her first name feels wrong but Hermione smiles at me so I think I'm doing okay so far.

'Did you see the beautiful flowers Draco brought Mary?' Robert asks gesturing to the lilies which are now sitting on the coffee table.

'Oh they're gorgeous! Thank you Draco. Could you find a vase to put them in Hermione, I can hear my timer going off in the kitchen.

Before I know it they're both gone and I'm alone with Hermione's father apart from the orange cat which is curled up on one of the armchairs. This is my perfect chance to talk but I didn't imagine this would happen so soon.

'Um Mr Granger, I mean Robert,' I correct myself, ' can I talk to you about something?'

'Sure, what is it.'

Now I'm committed. I sit on the sofa and try to collect myself. I really wish I had had more time to plan what I was going to say. I really don't want him to hate me.

'I just wanted to get this out of the way because it's something you should know about me. How much do you know about the wizarding war that happened earlier this year?'

'Well I know that there was some lord whose name you can't say that Hermione and her friends had to go off and fight to stop him from taking over. Other than that I don't know much because Hermione obliviated us and sent us to Australia. We don't know anything about what happened last year apart from what Hermione's told us since she restored our memories which isn't much.'

I'm shocked to hear that Hermione obliviated her parents but I ignore it for now.

'My parents, mainly my father, supported the dark lord who Hermione fought against. I was brought up to believe the things they did and at 16 I was forced to become one of his followers. I ended up fighting on the wrong side of the war and I helped them do some really terrible things.'

Part of me feels relieved that I've said it. I watch Robert's face to try and gauge his reaction but I can't really tell what he's thinking.

'You are the same age as Hermione right?'

I'm surprised at this question but I answer anyway 'Yes, well I'm less than a year younger than her.'

'So why were a bunch of children fighting this war?  Where were all the adults?'

'Well in the wizarding world you're considered an adult at 17,' I explain.

'That's rubbish, you're still children. I assume that Hermione knows everything you've just told me.'

'Yes of course and I just want to make it clear that I no longer believe in the things my parents did.'

'It takes a very mature person to go against what their parents taught them.'