Hand In Hand

When afternoon arrives, Draco and I help decorate the castle with the other prefects. Harry is also required to help as quidditch captain so I organise the four of us (including Ginny) to work in the same group in the great hall.

I try not to be awkward around Draco but I think it's the fact that I'm trying that makes it so difficult. It also doesn't help that Ginny keeps shooting me secretive looks or nudging me in the side every time she catches me looking at Draco.

Luckily when the great hall is fully decked out in the colours of orange and black, I reflect that the afternoon has passed without major incident though, I will admit that I have count of exactly how many times I caught Draco looking at me and for the record, it was 23.

***

The week goes by as normal but with the addition of a certain sense of anticipation which fills the castle as the weekend draws closer, bringing with it both Halloween and the first Hogsmeade trip. I am still not sure what I am going to do in Hogsmeade without Harry and Ginny because of course I will have to avoid Ron. However, I don't get to think much about that because I have just become so busy with homework and most nights, when I don't take the dreamless sleep potion, I still don't sleep well.

I don't talk to Draco much because both of us are very busy but sometimes I almost wonder if he's avoiding me. I do hope that he hasn't figured out how I feel about him. Part of my brain just tells me that I'm being paranoid but it is so hard to try not to make it obvious when I just love being around him so much.

He is the only person who really understands me. The only person who really cares. I know that he's not perfect but neither am I. It's only been a week since I really started falling for him but now I want nothing more than to have him as mine.

***

Wizards and witches never adopted the muggle custom of dressing up for Halloween though we do still celebrate the holiday and the wizarding history of the date is quite fascinating. So when Saturday evening comes, we all dress in our regular Hogwarts robes and gather in the great hall for what we all know will be an incredible feast.

We all sit down at our house tables which are decorated with the usual enormous carved pumpkins. Harry, Ginny and I are joined by Dean, Seamus, Neville and Pavarti. Ron also takes a seat a few places down from me but I only briefly acknowledge him before looking away again. Instead, I look over to the Slytherin table where Draco sits at one end by himself. Occasionally he will join us at our table for meals but I know he feels awkward with so many people staring at him.

All through dinner people tell stories, make jokes and complain, either about either homework or about other people. It's nice being with all my friends but I do notice the absence of the blond who I so desperately want to sit next to me and the sideways looks from the ginger down the table.

No one goes to bed straight after the feast. We all stand around talking, slowly spilling into the entrance hall. I look around to try and find Draco but there are too many people and I am too short to see over their heads. I stay with the other Gryffindors and we end up standing in a group next to the large front doors which are open to the cool night air. From inside the great hall music starts playing.

Several people scream when, what seems like every ghost in Hogwarts, appears above us through the ceiling and start swooping over the crowds of students. Everyone ducks because it is an extraordinarily unpleasant feeling to have a ghost fly through you.

Just as everything calms down I feel someone tap me lightly on the shoulder. I turn around sharply to see Draco just behind me. I open my mouth to say something but he puts a finger to my lips and just gestured for me to follow him. No one except Ginny notices me leave and she just gives me a nod to let me know she will cover for me.