Searching

No one was seriously injured during the short fight with Rodolphus Lestrange. The only reason he hadn't been taken out sooner, was because everyone had been so stunned by his sudden appearance. All the seventh years who had fought in the battle of Hogwarts had immediately turned around to help the fight so that Rodolphus was quickly outnumbered.

A number of people had received minor cuts and bruises, mostly from the debris from the exploded entrance to the Three Broomsticks.

Everyone was standing around in the middle of the street not really knowing what to do or say. Those who had been inside one of the surrounding shops had ventured outside with dazed expressions. The younger students had gathered into groups and were whispering to each other with terrified looks on their faces.

It wouldn't be long before everyone got over the shock and everything would descend into a state of panic.

'I feel like I should say something so that everyone calms down a bit and we can make things a bit more organised,' I say turning to my friends who are all gathered around me.

'Yeah, you're head girl after all. This is your moment.' Ginny puts her arm out to touch my shoulder. 'They're all just really confused. I'm sure they love to hear you say something that makes sense.'

'Maybe tell everyone to start to head back to Hogwarts,' suggests Draco. 'It might be a good idea just to get everyone back in their house dorms and then at dinner McGonagall will probably want to speak to everyone.

'That sounds like a good plan,' Harry admits gruffly. Like me, he still has his wand out and his eyes dart from one side to the other. Always on alert.

'Right well I'd better make sure everyone can hear me first.' I point my wand at my throat and mutter 'Sonorous.'

'Hello?' I hear my voice being magically amplified all around the small village. Everyone turns to look in my direction and I start to feel a bit nervous but I carry on. 'This is Hermione Granger and I would just like to confirm that the immediate threat has been eliminated. The man was stunned and the ministry has been alerted so officials should be here to collect him shortly. He will no doubt be taken to Azkaban.

'I would now like to ask that everyone please return to Hogwarts and remain in your house dormitories until it is time for dinner when, I should think, the Headmistress should wish to speak to you all. If you have sustained any injuries please report to Madam Pomfrey. Please remain calm and stick together. Thank you. Quietus'

At first, everyone seemed quite shocked but after a quick murmur of discussion passes around the street people started turning back towards the school.

'Wow, I didn't actually think that would work.'

'Of course it worked you're Hermione Granger,' was Draco's reply.

'And besides Ginny was right,' says Harry, 'they were all in shock. Sometimes people just want someone to tell them what they should do because they are panicking too much to think straight.'

'Well, still, we'd better go around to see that no one gets left behind or rather find the kids who think they're too cool to do what they're told for once.' I look around and see a group of seventh years, most of them prefects walking back to Hogwarts but not too far away. 'Wait here a minute,' I say to the others.

I start running and I quickly catch up to them. 'Hey guys!' I call out. 'Neville! Luna!' They turn around and stop when they see me.

'Hi Hermione,' Neville greets me as I pull to a stop in front of the group. 'Do you need some help with something?'

'Yes actually. We need to do a quick check of all the shops to make sure everyone has actually gone back to school and it will be much quicker with more people and I thought you might be able to help.'

'Of course,' is the general agreement from everyone.

'Right so it's probably best if we split up into pairs. It's probably not dangerous anymore but it's better to be safe. Luna, you go with Neville, Parvati you can go with Seamus and Padma with Dean.' I then give them instructions on which buildings to check and jog back over to Harry Ginny and Draco.

'I've got that lot checking the high street so that leaves us to look through the side streets. Harry, if you and Ginny look down the one just opposite here Draco and I will walk further down to the street at the end. We will meet you back here in about half an hour.'

We part ways and Draco and I head back down the main street. The village is so quiet without the presence of all the Hogwarts students and most of the usual inhabitants have withdrawn inside after the fight with Rodolphus.

I slide my hand into Draco's as we walk in silence. There is nothing that needs to be said but I am acutely aware of the amount of pressure between his and my fingertips and that is everything.

We walk past The Magic Neep greengrocers and turn into the street. 'Okay so we can check the buildings on the left side first and then we'll come back up on the other side,' I say walking towards the door of Gladrags Wizardwear.

It is not very long before we have visited not only Gladrags but also Ceridwen's cauldrons, Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop and Scrivenshaft's Quills, where, not hours before we had been so excited over the expensive luxury quills. We talk briefly with each of the shop owners after each of them assures us that there are no Hogwarts students left in their shop. They are all pleased to hear that no one was seriously hurt and that Roldolphus was being taken to Azkaban.

Finally, we arrive at Dervish and Bangs, the last place on the street.

Draco opens the door and there is a soft magical tinkle as we cross the threshold. We walk quietly through the shop to find that there is no one behind the counter. I am about to call out when there is a loud bang from somewhere below us.

Acting on instinct I duck behind a display board and pull Draco with me. I hear multiple sets of feet coming up the stairs from the basement.

I turn to Draco and put my finger to my lips, indicating that he should stay silent.

'Come on hurry up, we need to get back before they find us,' a male voice comes from the stairs.

'You're not helping us by talking so loudly,' a girl whispers.

'It's alright, everyone will be distracted, we should still have time.'

'As long as everything worked out as we planned we'll be fine.'

I duck down and creep past the rows of shelves back to the front of the shop. Through the gaps in the displays, I spot the three students heading towards the door from the other side of the shop.

Suddenly feeling quite dramatic I stand up and step in front of the door and I see Draco come around behind them, trapping the three.

I put my hands on my hips and adopt my head girl voice. 'Might I ask what you three think you are still doing here?'