2

Life on the road is rough. Spending an entire day traveling was terrible but the second day was even worse. I honestly should have been paying more attention but according to Mom, it takes twenty-something hours to get to the good ole state of Colorado from Tennessee. We stopped at a hotel at some point last night before we got back on the road at some ungodly hour this morning. So, the entire little spiel is basically my way of saying that I slept through the entire second day travel time. And what an amazing sleep it was. That was until my sister dearest thought it would be fun. To wake me up. By opening the van door. That I was sleeping on. I could barely let out a scream before all the air was knocked out of my lungs by the unforgiving asphalt.

"Oops. Sorry, Riley." Sam said while trying, and failing horribly, to contain her laughter. I sent her the best death glare that I could manage but the effect was greatly lost since I was still lying on the ground, gasping for air.

"Sam, is Riley up?" I heard Mom's voice come from somewhere on the other side of the van.

"Umm, you could say that," Sam responded the laughter still evident in her voice. I could hear Mom sigh before walking over, only to burst out laughing as soon as she took in the situation.

"Thanks, Mom." I croaked out as I slowly stood. "I really appreciate the motherly concern for your daughter. I was only gasping for breath on the ground. No reason to be concerned or anything."

"Well, you're fine now." Mom told me while pressing a quick kiss to my forehead. "While you were still napping, I've finished all of my necessary forms and applications, so we can head out."

"So. You're working here then?" I asked, looking a the extremely large hospital.

"No. I went to medical school for ten years, got my doctorate, and have to continuously study for and take the Boards every seven years but I'm actually working as a cashier at the store down the street. I just had to fill out my liability application at the hospital for some reason." Mom responded in a monotone voice.

"The sarcasm really wasn't necessary. A simple 'yes' would have sufficed."

"It is when a stupid question is asked." Sam decided to put in her two cents.

"And how far are we from dear John's humble abode?" I asked, completely disregarding Sam's statement.

"I am actually going to drive by the school first so that both of you will at least have a general idea of where it is and its proximity to the house."

As much as I hate to admit it, I couldn't stop myself from falling in love the moment I saw it. I honestly thought that I had died and gone to heaven. It was huge and the most beautiful green that I have ever seen! The lines were perfectly straight, and everything looked brand new. I could practically smell the freshness of the grass and my feet tingled in jealousy of all the cleats that had sunk into that wonderful soil. There is no doubt in my mind that this soccer field and I are soulmates. I guess the school itself was nice too. It was big. It could easily be three or four stories high with what looked like close to a thousand steps leading to the main doors. On the ground leading up to the steps, there were two really large fountains that have been beautifully crafted. It honestly looked like a freaking castle. It even has a legitimate gate surrounding the entire perimeter of the campus.

"I'm going to be so lost for at least a year," Sam said in astonishment. I could only nod along in agreement, still enraptured by the beauty of the soccer field. "Wow! Riley's speechless! I will enjoy this moment while it lasts."

"I guess that going here might not be so bad," I said as I watched as the beautiful soccer field left my sight.

"Oh, no. That's impossible. I know you didn't just say you might want to go here. I must have heard wrong." It seems my Mom was just full of sarcasm today. "The school is only about ten minutes from the house which is a short enough distance that I'm sure you both won't have a problem with walking to school."