9

I didn't get to speak to Sara for the rest of the week. I still saw her at school because we had classes and soccer together but every time I would try to talk to her she would just go in the opposite direction or put in her earbuds. I couldn't help but feel as if I did something wrong. I mean, she kissed me and then ran away without giving me the chance to say anything. Even outside of my obvious attraction to her, she and Adrian had quickly become my best friends here and having her ignore me hurt more than I was willing to admit. On top of having Sara ignoring me, I was still constantly plagued by my conversation with Richard and the subsequent conversation with my mother. Even Alex was acting differently around me now like I was some fragile child on the verge of a mental breakdown. Which, if I'm being honest, might not be that far-fetched of an assumption. I could literally feel my life falling apart before my eyes and all I can do is just stand and watch. I had absolutely no idea what was being taught in class. I barely ate or slept or spoke to anyone. And, worst of all, I sucked at soccer. I was doing so terribly, in fact, that Troy told me to just get my stuff and leave. I didn't even bother trying to form some kind of excuse because I knew that there wasn't one. I just left the field and sat in the hallway that led to the locker rooms with my head in my hands. I knew that I was screwing up. I knew that we had a game tomorrow. I knew that it was do-or-die important, but I just couldn't focus. I was the captain and was letting my team down, but I just couldn't bring myself to snap out of it.

'Those goals aren't going to score themselves, you know?'

"I know."

'Then, what are you doing out here, Riley?'

"I don't know."

'Oh, come on. I know that's not my daughter giving up. I know that I didn't raise a quitter.'

"Can I even still call myself that?"

'Riley, you're always going to be my daughter. No matter what. I love you and I always will. You know that. I knew from the beginning that we didn't share any blood, but we share something much deeper than that. You are my heart and soul, Riley. My pride and joy. My oldest daughter. And I am so sorry that I had to leave. I'm sorry that I had to leave you and your mom and your sister. I'm sorry I'm not able to physically be there for you. But I'm right here, Riley. I will always be here for you.'

"Riley!" A voice said off in the distance.

"Please don't leave me."

"Riley, wake up!" The voice was louder this time.

'I never will. I need you to keep scoring goals for me, Riley.'

"I promise."

"Oh, thank god. Riley are you okay?" I knew that voice. It was one that I hadn't heard in what seemed like forever.

"Sara." I breathed out as I opened my eyes to meet her hazel ones staring right back at me.

"Yeah, it's me. How are you feeling?" She asked as she helped me to sit up.

"What happened?" I asked, basking in the sound of her voice.

"After Troy told you to leave, I realized that I needed to pull my head out of my ass and stop avoiding you, so I followed you here. Only, I found you here passed out on the floor and it didn't look like you were breathing, and I panicked." Sara explained, pulling me into an embrace. "But, you're okay though right. I mean, should I still call an ambulance or-" This time I was the one who cut her off with a kiss.

"I am perfectly fine." I panted out. "I don't need an ambulance. All I need is you." I managed to get out before she pulled me in for another kiss. It felt as if my world, my entire universe had righted itself again at that moment. I felt invincible like I could do anything I wanted.