16

Never in my life have I done anything as utterly mortifying as what I just did. I just flashed my mother! It was kind of necessary seeing as how they didn't believe me, and I suppose it would have been too weird to just take a picture. I mean, it's already weird enough just having it. This is all Leo's fault. My disaster of a life is Leo's fault. My preferences are Leo's fault. Hell, global warming is Leo's fault! As far as I'm concerned, everything wrong on this planet is Leo's fault. Just thinking about that no-good d-

"Riley."

I sighed. Would I ever get peace and time to myself? I swear, every day there's been someone knocking on my freaking door wanting to talk. Why can't these people just LEAVE ME ALONE?!

"Riley." The voice was louder this time and it just so happened to be John's. Great. Can my life get any more messed up? I wonder if I could just drop off the face of the planet within the next thirty seconds. Leo did. Maybe he passed that ability on as well. It would sure be helpf- crap. Of course, I didn't lock the door to my room. Now, he's walking in. What am I supposed to say? I'm opting for nothing. Maybe if I just sit here and let him say what he came to say, he'll leave. I know that I said I needed to talk to him about this stuff, but I honestly don't think I can handle anymore awkwardness today. I've still been avoiding even using the bathroom.

"Riley? Can we... um... is it okay if we..." John stopped and took a deep breath. "Can we talk about this?" I merely raised an eyebrow in response. I guess he took my nonverbal response as an affirmative answer because he decided to take a seat at the foot of my bed. He appeared to be just as nervous, if not more than I am. Some part of me is hoping that he would realize how awkward this is and just leave.

"So, your mother and I... we thought it would be best if... I'm sorry. This is a conversation that I'd never thought I'd have to have. It was... easier with Alexander because it wasn't as if it was new but..."

My eyes widened as I realized where this conversation was heading.

"Whoa, wait." So much for my plan to stay quiet and wait for him to leave. "Are you talking about... is this the... are you trying to give me the sex/being-aware-of-your-body talk?" I stammered, feeling the burn of embarrassment spread rapidly across my face. I could tell by John's expression that, yes, this was indeed that dreaded talk. What makes it even worse is that this is the second time I've had to through this. Only the first time was slightly less mortifying due to it being a quick "If your age is on the clock, you're too young for the cock" when I was 10. Three years later, I was informed that it included military time which, by that point, I had already had a change in preferences anyway.

"Look, as much as I appreciate the effort and concern, I don't need this. I... I mean if I have questions about... erm... that... there's always Google. And I, um know the basics for the most part. Plus, Google's a legal adult now so it won't be weird trying to ask a minor about this stuff." I told him, chuckling nervously while a small smile crept onto his face.

"Alright, ask Google then. But, um, if you do have any questions that Google can't answer..."

"Then, I will ask you."

"Good. So, about the other thing we need to discuss," John said, standing. "I am going to just go ahead and rip off the band-aid. So, going to the bathroom..."

"Oh my god. John, I'm sure that when that time comes I'll be able to figure it out. We really don't have to talk about it."

"Oh, hallelujah!" John breathed out a sigh of relief. "Before I go, your mother told me to tell you that it would be best if you got more... settled... with your, uh, situation before you invest more time in your relationship."