18

"I'm sorry, Sara. I'm so, so sorry." I cried, holding her as close as physically possible. I felt her tears carve hot trails across my skin as her nails dug into the skin of my back, latching us together. I don't know how long we sat there, crying into each other's skin and refusing to move even an inch apart. It could have been minutes or hours or days that we just sat there taking as much comfort as we could from the other. I couldn't escape from the feeling of extreme guilt that ravaged my soul, the pain from a hot brand would have been less painful than what I was feeling. I could do nothing except apologize, over and over again, not even daring to whisper reassurances. If I had already failed her once, how was I to promise that I would never do so again?

"It's not your fault, Riley. You don't need to apologize. You saved me." Sara whispered as her tears finally began to taper off.

"You shouldn't have needed saving. I promised you that he wouldn't ever get close to you and he did. He was here, and he touched you, Sara." I said into the skin of her neck, tugging her impossibly closer. "I should kill him. I want to kill him."

"That's not who you are, Riley. You don't kill people, you save them. You saved me."

"I know. I just...I can't help it. Everything in me just wants to rip him to pieces and feed him to the scavengers. Just the mere thought of anyone hurting you..." I trail off with a small growl as I gently latch my teeth over her pulse point, the action calming me instantly.

"I know, Riley," Sara said, rubbing a gentle hand along my back. "Hey, I think I...I feel like a need to go take a shower. I just feel..."

"It's okay," I interrupted before her nerves got the better of her. "I understand. Do what you have to do. I'll still be right here when you get back. I'm not going anywhere."

"Thank you. I know we should probably talk about it but...yeah. I, um, my clothes are over there in my drawer. There should be something in there that will fit you." Sara placed a quick kiss on my lips before going off towards what I assume is the bathroom. I sat on the bed, staring at where she had disappeared before finally getting up and yanking on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Turning, I stared at the man that was still sprawled across the floor, debating what I should do with him.

"She's your chosen mate." A voice said, causing me to startle. I snapped my head over to find Benjamin pressed against the wall exactly as he had been. He didn't appear to have moved a muscle. "Before you ask, I don't know much about it. That's something that you'll have to talk to Dad about. I guess it explains the extra aggressiveness though." My eyes widened as I remembered exactly how I had acted towards Benjamin.

"Benjamin, I'm so sorry," I sincerely apologized, taking a small step in his direction. "I didn't mean what I said and I'm thankful that you stopped me. Can you look at me? Please?" I waited until he met my eyes to continue. "You know that I have no intention to ever become like Leo and I deeply regret any similarities in our behavior. I don't want to force people to do what I want, and I should have never forced you to submit to me. I hated when Leo did that to me, and I don't want to be someone that hurts you. I don't want to become someone that you would hate."

"But you are hurting me, Riley! You're hurting all of us!" Benjamin suddenly snapped, taking an aggressive step forward as a deep growl rumbled in his chest. I tilted my head and narrowed my eyes in confusion. "You don't know Dad. He will get what he wants. He always does. His word is law, and no one can refuse him. You should know that. Don't you remember when you tried to stand against him? Do you remember how well that worked out for you? You said yourself that you and he share something 'deeper than blood'. You know that you're special, that you're the Chase heir, and yet you still aren't willing to come with us! What part of you don't have a choice are you not understanding?! If every single one of us were to drop dead right now, he wouldn't even care as long as he still had you. That's just how important you are to him, Riley."