6

I sat in the car across from Richard, my head spinning.

"So...you're my...brother?"

"Technically, I'm your half-brother. Dad isn't one for commitment as I'm sure you can tell. Dad contacts his kids when we turn twelve, but he wasn't able to find you for a long time. He never gave up though. So, here I am. Two hours from home, talking to you. Of course, we have other siblings. We have three younger siblings in case you were wondering, but out of all of us you're his favorite."

"You're telling me that the man who knocked up my mom and then vanishes without a trace has spent the last five years looking for the child that he abandoned?" I growled.

"It's like that for all of us. He gives us time to be a normal kid, to live a normal life. I was upset too at first. But, these past few years with Dad have been better than I ever would have had if I lived a normal life. Even knowing that I will never be first in his eyes or that I will never be his favorite even after everything that I've done for him. And yet, I still remain loyal." The sadness and hurt in his voice weren't lost on me.

"Why can't you be?" I sincerely asked.

"We're...our kind...is different from humans. I'm sure you've seen movies about werewolves there's an alpha of the pack. That's not what we are but it's kind of like that. Dad's the alpha and regardless of how he dies or who kills him, the oldest child is automatically and irrefutably the heir. And, because they're the natural heir, they will be the superior child. They'll be faster, stronger, and significantly more powerful than everyone else. So, regardless of how much I suck up to him, I'm still the third born and that can't be changed. My older brother gets more perks from Dad; some that I'll never be allowed to have." He explained.

"If that's true then...then I would have to be older than you." I looked over at Richard skeptically. "You look at least twenty. And if we have an older brother, what does he need me for?"

"I grew after I met Dad for the first time. But, Riley, I said that I have an older brother. You only have younger siblings; five, so far, to be exact. Riley, you're the oldest. You're Dad's favorite and you're the heir. It is your birthright to be the one to inherit Dad's empire."

"...You're kidding, right?"

"No. I'm serious. As of now, there's six of us. You're the oldest and then it's my brother, Benjamin. He and I are the only full siblings so far. We're twins actually but he was born five minutes before me so we're both fourteen. Jackson is thirteen and both Ryan and Micah are twelve, but Micah is a few months younger than Ryan. Although knowing how Dad is, we'll probably have a new sibling popping up sometime soon which one of us will probably be sent out to find." Richard explained while I just gave him a skeptical look.

"Right." I sighed out. "Richard, what is your purpose for coming here? Is this some game or dare that you're playing with your friends? Because some small part of me would like to believe you, but I'm finding all of this hard to believe."

"Riley, I'm telling you the truth. I was sent here by our father to find you and take you back to him."

"Like hell you did."

"You were supposed to have been with him since you were twelve. You don't even know who or what you are and regardless of what you choose to believe, you can't just run away from this. The rest of us had a choice and we all chose to follow Dad because our lives were a living hell. But, you're not like the rest of us. You're the heir. You don't get a choice. You were born with that decision already made for you." I could feel my facial expression turn into one of uttermost rage and, based on the fear that showed on Richard's face, it thoroughly conveyed my anger.

"I am not having ANYTHING to do with that man! I don't give two shits about when or in which order I was born! If he actually gave a crap about me, then why the hell did he leave in the first place?! My father died in the army eight years ago. I'm not obligated to do a damn thing for the sperm donor. The man couldn't even come here and explain all this to my face. He sent a freaking errand boy instead! I like my life just the way it is without him in it. So, you can tell your twin he got a promotion because I'M OUT!" I growled out before angrily jumping out of the car and letting the door slam behind me before I started running away. I honestly had no idea where I was or what direction I needed to go to get back home, but I didn't care. I'd rather be anywhere but here right now. I heard the car screech to a stop behind me.

"If you don't go, he will come here! Regardless of what you believe, you can't run from this, Riley! He'll come and get you himself!" Richard yelled after me.

"Then let him."