4

"Hey. I'm Adrian." The boy sitting next to me introduced. He seemed like he was slim and tall, but I couldn't tell since we were both sitting now. He had skin the color of milk chocolate with shaggy black hair and light brown eyes. He also had two small, black, hoop earrings in both ears and was sporting a very cocky smile.

"Hey. It's nice to meet you."

"So, what brings you here?"

"New opportunities, I guess."

"Soccer related opportunities, eh?" He asked, wiggling his eyebrows. "If you want to get noticed professionally, this is definitely the place to be. As a fellow soccer player myself, I must say that there's some serious competition here. The Tremmor kid, Alex, has wiped the field with literally everyone that he goes against and expects the same out of the rest of us. And if TW up there coaches like he teaches then it almost seems like we're in for a brutal time out there on the field. Are you sure that you're up for all that?"

"As I told the 'Tremmor kid', where I come from I was the top dog. Undefeated and was known for demolishing any opposition on the field. I think I can handle a little bit of competition...if I can even call it that." I cockily answered with a smirk of my own as Adrian's mouth dropped open in shock.

"You've already talked to Tremmor? On your first day?! How did you even manage that? That dude is seriously hardcore. I've known him forever, but I still only speak to him if it's an emergency or something."

"Well, I live with him."

"You live with him? You've actually been to the Tremmor mansion? Home of the richest man in the state. How?"

"His dad proposed to my mom and asked her to move in with him." I shrugged as if it wasn't a big deal. "She said yes so here we are."

"Your mom? How did they meet?" He whispered, glancing up to make sure Troy hadn't noticed that we have yet to pay attention to his lesson.

"I think they met at this future innovator something-or-another meeting thingy. My mom's a neuro surgeon so she tends to go to stuff like that. I don't really know much more than that. But why do you call Alex the 'Tremmor kid'? He and his sister have names you know." Adrian just stared at me blankly.

"Tremmor...has...a sister?"

"Yeah," I answered slowly, slightly confused. "Her name's Maya. She's thirteen and a freshman like my sister. They're in all the same classes and everything."

"Wow. I honestly didn't know th-"

"Mr. Harris!" Troy suddenly appeared beside our desks, scaring the crap out of both of us. "I would greatly appreciate it if you would wait to interrogate Miss Chase after my class. And Miss Chase, seeing as how you're new here, I'm glad that you're making friends, but I need to speak with you after class. Now, I need both of you to stop the side conversation, copy the notes and examples that are on the board, and PAY ATTENTION. I would hate for your grades to be the reason that you don't make it on my team. Now, have I made myself clear?"

"Yes, sir!" We both said in unison before slumping back in our chairs to try and avoid the looks that we were getting from the rest of the class as Troy resumed teaching. Both Adrian and I started copying down the notes from the board and just silently agreed that we would continue our conversation later.

"What's your schedule looking like?" Adrian asked as we gathered our things after the bell had rung.

"I have Bio after this. Then Gov, lunch, Am. Lit, and Phys. Ed."

"Well, looks like you're my new class buddy if that's okay with you. My friend, Sara, she's in all of those with us too. She actually would've been in this class but she's super good in math so she's in Math II with the seniors. I think you will both get along wonderfully though."