Chapter 4:

// Cold Shoulder //

10:00 AM

Gerald's face was hidden between the couch cushions ,blocking the bright invasion of the sun's rays that thrived throughout the glass house . His leather jacket was thrown on the floor and his shoes were slipping off his feet . The bottle of Jack was shattered in the corner ,pieces of glass swam in the puddle of whiskey . I was very tempted to clean it up before leaving but I had to fight the urge and quietly continue to make my way out the front door without waking him . Before twisting the knob I took a quick glance back at him making sure he was still asleep , I couldn't help but feel a bit of guilt for leaving this way , though I knew he wouldn't care . The little he did open up to me last night made me want to get to know him more , in a state of vulnerability he let me in but quickly shut me out picking his guard back up .

With a deep inhale and slow exhale I walk out the door shutting it cautiously behind me . A thick breeze ran up my spine reminding me I was still wearing his tee and boxers . The ground was cold ,my bare feet were almost numb and not a full minute had gone by . I was relieved to see Ava pull up but that did not mean I had forgiven her for last night,it just meant I wanted to be home and she was my ride . I got in her small Lexus without saying a word to her ,she didn't make any effort either . The warm air in the car hugged me . I crossed my arms and gave the window my full attention watching life go on ,on the sidewalks and busy streets of LA . I didn't want to face her at all I knew it would just spark last night's dark memories if I even took a glance at her . Sadly my "bestfriend" is the one I can almost fully put the blame on for every awful occurrence that went on last night . Her two minutes of sympathy and concern when I vented to her in the bathroom with tears pouring didn't have any significance to me anymore . Ava knew my heart was breaking to bits inside my chest from the hurt but she tossed my problem to the side and decided to continue with the party .

All I wanted was to leave . All I wanted was to be at my house safe . All I fucking wanted was to lay my head on my pillow and sleep off the night's pain and heartbreak . All she wanted was to walk out the bathroom and leave me behind sniffling with nothing but a pat on the back from her with a "you're gonna be okay ". All she wanted was to go back out to the party . Selfish , so selfish .

The silence in the car wrapped around us like a thick blanket . The tension between us was almost suffocating ,traffic wasn't helping the situation either . I just wanted to be home sinking in a blanket letting tears fall on to my pillow locked in my room away from her ...away from everyone .

"You're just going to ignore me ?", Ava finally spoke ,still not facing me  .
She kept her eyes on the road waiting for me to give her an answer but I didn't . She grips the steering-wheel in frustration as seconds pass with no words leaving my mouth . I know exactly how to push her buttons . No one likes to be ignored do they ?

"Say something!", she brakes abruptly  coming at a full stop to catch my attention . The loud screech filled my ears ,such an unpleasant sound .

"Ava what the fuck ?", my heart was beating fast , I nearly almost hit the windshield when she braked . Thank God my seatbelt was buckled .

"Good . You didn't forget how to speak."

"What do you want me to say ?! . " , I turn my cheek hoping she'd get the point .
"That you're a shitty "best friend" . " , I add ,quoting "best friend " with my fingers purposely like an immature pre-teen .