Shelter

Do you have fan art? Send it to me through Instagram (Shuckoffgreenie) or Email! (Acreativeblur@gmail

Do you have fan art? Send it to me through Instagram (Shuckoffgreenie) or Email! (Acreativeblur@gmail.com)

  The wind whips my hair back, particles of sand flying into my face. We must be farther up north because its already starting to get dark. The sand is thicker than it was in the Scorch Trials, large dunes scattering the horizon, which makes me question the Earth's current state of climate even more.

  Beams of light illuminate the air of flashlights, revving of engines and barks of dogs as Wicked's army follows us out, searching and looking for us in the dark. I can hear the echo of their voices, sending commands to scatter in every direction.

  I desperately search where to go, but the sand clouds the atmosphere, filling my throat and blurring my vision.

  "Newt?" I yell, barely able to hear myself speak. "Newt where are you?!"

  A hand flies over my mouth, muffling my screams. Newt's face, barely visible, appears in my line of vision.

  "Again, are you trying to get yourself killed?" He whispers. "They'll hear you!" He lets go of my mouth and wraps his hand in mine.

  We keep running forward, ducking low until the voices behind us become distant and faded.

  "Olivia! Over here!" I hear Minho whisper-yell. I see his silhouette motioning me over. Newt and I run towards him and the group, looking at what he's pointing at.

  Its a building, although hardly impossible to tell. There are walls, once lined with windows that are now shattered. Gaps of brick and cement have been torn out, and graffiti covers them. But there is an entrance.

  I don't hesitate to run in, pulling Newt with me. I slide down one of the sand dunes, tripping and stumbling as Newt picks me up. The others fall in suit, sliding down the hill. An eerie glow of the moon illuminates the inside of the building. I pick a flashlight up off the ground and turn it on pointing it around to take in our surroundings.

  Smaller rooms line the walls. An old fountain sits in the middle of the wide hallway we are in, of course now covered in sand, and escalators sit at the opposite side. We must be in some sort of shopping mall.

  "Come on. They'll be here soon. Get supplies and lets keep moving." I say.

  "Olivia wait-" Newt starts.

"We need to find food and water." I say and turn around.

  "Olivia!" Newt grabs my arm, spinning me back around. "What is all of this about?"

  I take a deep breath, clearing my head, panting from the previous escape. "Aris and I saw bodies."

  "Dead bodies?" Minho asks.

  "No, but they weren't necessarily alive either. They were strung up, their blood being drained." Everyone stays silent, so I keep talking. "Janson and Harrison, they were talking to the same woman from my memories at Wicked, her name is Ava Paige-"