Bonnie

BONNIE'S POV. THIS TAKES PLACE WHILE OLIVIA IS IN HER DREAM.

  The Brenda girl comes running into view, holding two bags in each hand. The shouts of citizens and the firing of bullets still rings through the air. The helicopter blades thump through the air and search lights illuminate the world outside as we stay hidden in the shadows.

  "Come on, I know a way to the basement. We'll be safe there." Brenda says, clearly out of breath. She begins to bolt up the opening we slipped through, diligently working.

  "Wait, where's Olivia?" Newt asks, searching the room.

  Brenda turns around, a solemn look on her face. But she doesn't say anything.

  "Did they take her?!" Newt asks again, voice raising this time. His eyes are filled with worry.

  "I don't know, she didn't come with me." Brenda says back.

  "How could you bloody leave her behind!" Newt shouts, taking a step forward.

  "It wasn't my choice! She pushed me into the zipline. I don't know what her plan was!" Brenda yells back.

  Minho grabs Newt's arm, pulling him back before he can get out of control. He pushes Newt against the far wall, Newt mumbling while he slides down and sits on the floor.

  "Let's go! We have to go find her!" Newt cries out.

  Jorge shakes his head. "They're still out there. Unless we wanna be caught, we need to stay hidden."

  I hear Newt croak out, "Olivia." As he puts his head in his hands, silently sobbing into them.

  Everyone begins to settle down, spreading out blankets and staying quiet, only the sound of the fight going on outside.

  I decide to sit next to him, judging I don't know anyone else here that well. Or that none of them like me. I tuck my short hair behind me ears and take a seat, avoiding eye contact.

I glance over and see a small tear rolling down his face as he plays with Olivia's hair tie. I remember meeting him when he was first brought to Wicked. He has changed so much. We all have. And not always for the better.

  "I'm sure she'll be okay." I try to tell him, breaking the silence. It's the first time I have talked to him directly since I saw him after the Maze. He shakes his head.

  "What if they took her. What if I never see her again. I've lost her once, I don't think I can go through it again." He chokes out, resting the back of his head against the wall.

  "She's proved to be a strong person. She'll survive. We'll find her." I say.

  He says nothing about her. Instead he turns to me, "Are you really on our side?" It's an accusing question, but his eyes seem scared.

  I bite my lip, keeping my eyes glued to the ground. "Yes." I reply, fiddling with my fingers.

  "What was it like?" He asks. "Being on the other side of it all."

  "It's....weird. I never thought I would be a part of it all, I wasn't supposed to."

  "What do you mean?"

  "I was supposed to be in the Maze. Group B. I remember when they first brought me in for training, and I met you. I was as tall as you then. We were all kids, fourteen or fifteen maybe..Olivia would come to our room every night, always talking about how much progress you were making, how excited she was to wake up and work with you again. She was torn when they promoted her to a lead official.

  "They kept it under wraps. They forced her into the position, told her they needed a young brain to think through all the obstacles and stitch information together. I helped her. We created the different trials. The Maze. The Glade, the Grievers. But, no one was supposed to get hurt."

  "Huh?" He interrupts.

  I face him. "Take the Grievers for example. The sting, it wasn't supposed to kill you. Just have you slip into a coma and get your memories back. They wanted more brain patterns, so they created the Changing....Olivia found out, but there was nothing she could do about it. They switched everything and took her power away. She had little say in things. She watched them all die, but it wasn't until I told her what happened to you in the Maze, that you hurt yourself, that was the last straw.

  "She sent herself as the final test. Took Aris out of your Maze and placed him into Maze B. She sacrificed herself for not just me, but for all of you. Everyone. While she was there, I made sure to send clues. The grey skies, the change in the Maze, I was itching for her to get out of there. I knew she wouldn't remember me or who I was, but she was still my best friend."

  "What about when you met us after we escaped?"

  I take a deep breath. "The Right Arm attacked the facility. To keep the doctor's safe, they had me greet you. It all happened so quickly. They handed Gally, whom they rescued, over to me and gave me notecards on what to say. I had no idea he was planning on doing that to Chuck. And there was nothing I could do. While Olivia was in the Maze, they were planning for the Scorch Trials. I hated the idea of torturing you guys again, knowing only more lives would be lost, but they locked me up before I could have a say. Over those two weeks, they beat me, operated on me...they brought me to the building where you guys were staying at, but I knew they were Wicked. They wouldn't allow me to talk to you guys. To tell you what they were doing to me." My voice catches in my throat.

  "Bonnie," Newt whispers, rubbing my arm. I fight back the tears, but one manages to slide down my face.

  "They gave me my memories back." I choke out, pulling my knees up to my chest. Newt's face screams "What?" and "How?" But he doesn't say anything. I rock back and forth, images of everything I remember from my past life playing through my head. Horrible faces, dramatic events, my life was a nightmare. Being ripped from my home and brought to Wicked was probably the best day of my life. And having them remove my memories was the nicest thing they ever did for me.

  I didn't understand this at first. When they took me, I thought they were in the wrong for testing children. I wouldn't control myself. But now I know they only wanted what was best for me.

  "You shouldn't have had to keep this to yourself," Newt says, as if seeing my memories as well. "I know what its like to be trapped in a dark mind. You could have told Olivia."

  "Its easier said than done. There's more to it, Newt. Its not that simple."

  He opens his mouth to speak, but someone shouts from across the room.

  "Newt!" Brenda calls out, running over to us. He immediately stands up.

  "Brenda? What's wrong?"

  She catches her breath. "I went looking around for a place to sleep for the night. I found a basement, I couldn't get inside but there's a window," Brenda says, breathing heavily.

  "And?"

  She gulps. "Its Olivia. She's down there. And I think she is dead."