Pieces

One week before the Maze Trials

  Why didn't you tell me?" Newt asks, blocking my exit. Anger covers his face.

  "I don't know what you're talking about." I mumble, avoiding eye contact as I fumble with my files and attempt to squeeze past him. He won't let me through.

  "Olivia, you know exactly what I am talking about," His voice is stern, threatening even. "Why didn't you tell me they're going to kill us?"

  After our kiss, I was directed to avoid Newt. My life depended on it. They knew if I developed relationships with any of the other subjects, I would go easy on them. And they couldn't have that. What they had planned for them was brutal. It was lethal.

  "They aren't going to kill you." I whisper.

  Instead, he grabs the papers out of my hands. I try and snatch them away but he holds them up high, reading them. He flips one around and shows it to me.

  "What are these? Grievers you call them? Monsters?" He accuses, pointing to one of the sketches of the mutants. "You're telling me these aren't going to kill us?" He doesn't wait for my answer. Instead, pulls out another paper. "Lost memories. The Swipe. You're going to let them rid our memories?! Oh, and what about this one," He hands me a paper. "The Maze changes every night. No hope of escape. They're imprisoning us!" He shouts.

  "You have no right to speak to me that way." I say firmly, grabbing my papers.

  "I thought you liked me, Olivia. I thought you cared about me!"

  "I do! I care about you a lot, Newt!" I say.

"Then why would you let them do this?!" He yells.

"It's-it's the only way,"

"You know they're sending Chuck," He tells me.

My mouth hangs open. "No they're not."

He tilts his head. "Are you sure? Because I've seen him in training everyday. He goes through the same tests I do. He is given the small amount of information that I am." He challenges.

I gulp. "You're lying."

"Why would I lie about this?"

  "I don't know."

  "Open your eyes, Olivia! Wicked is not good!" He screams and I suddenly feel hands grasp by shoulders, causing me to tense up. But they don't belong to Newt.

  I turn around and see Aris standing behind me. Eyes staring daggers at Newt. One hand remains on my shoulder, the other around my waist.

  "I suggest you leave her alone, now." He states.

  Newt looks from Aris to me and bites his lip, shaking his head. "Of course," He mumbles and takes a step back. "Monster."

  Thats the last thing he says before he walks away.

---------------