War

My hand grabs the ladder and I press my body against it, eyes squeezing shut as the tower rattles and shakes, creaks and groans filling the space around me

  My hand grabs the ladder and I press my body against it, eyes squeezing shut as the tower rattles and shakes, creaks and groans filling the space around me. I hear screams and explosions as more and more bombs are dropped.

  I look up and see Bonnie hastily crawling down the ladder. "Go go go!" She yells at me.

  I quickly start to move my feet and hands down, slipping a few times, as I try to ignore the shrieks piercing the atmosphere.

  It's the screams of innocent men and women, children and animals, who have done no harm. Wicked is killing off the city for having us as inhabitants.

  My foot finally reaches the ground and I turn in a circle, assessing what lies around me. Fires rage across my line of sight, houses and shops collapse, and terrified citizens race about, looking for shelter.

  I see a small, elderly woman limping across the street, desperation growing in each step. Bullets are shooting at her from afar. I sprint up to her and take her hand.

  "Follow me!" I shout over the loud noise and lead her to a still standing building. Her small hand tightly wraps around mine as I open the door for her. She disappears into the darkness and I shut the door, leaving her to safety.

  "Get down!" Someone shouts and I look up to see a plane flying towards us. It releases a grenade right over our heads. I instantly run to the side, being thrown forward as it comes in contact with the city, face and body slamming against the pavement. I cover my ears and head, waiting for the explosion to die down. Bone rattling screams follow the destruction, making tears line my eyes as I lift my head, coughing out smoke and dust.

  I turn to see the building I led the woman to completely destroyed, it's remains in flames. A knot ties in my stomach.

  "Olivia!" Someone shouts over the noise. I see Aris from far away, waving his hands at me. He is standing with Harriet, Sonya, Minho and Gally, all holding weapons. "We're fighting back!" He holds up an extra gun, I assume for me, and I realize that we've become submerged into a civil war, Right Arm against Wicked.

  I run to Aris.

  "Are you hurt?" He says, voice muffled by my injured ears. I shake my head no and he nods. "Our armies are spread out across the city. Wicked is fighting from above, so right now we are focused on killing the soldiers on the ground and bringing civilians to safety."

  I think about how I already tried to do that, and ended up putting the elderly lady right in the kill zone. I gulp and nod my head.

  "We aren't sure what their strategies are, but we know they'll eventually be looking for us, so once we help out the innocents, we're gonna flee," He hands me the gun and grabs my arm pulling me into the nearest alley. He puts my hands on the weapon. "This if gonna hurt your shoulder if you hold it the wrong way. Press this to fire. We don't know what kind of weapons they have, but we have normal bullets and explosive bullets." He gives me a reload and I tuck them into my boot. He shows me how to fire the strange gun. "All you gotta do is-"