Restart

"What do you mean?" I ask, worry growing inside of me. We were fine only minutes ago, what could have changed?

  He shakes his head. "I can't explain it, Olivia," He says, lowering his voice. "I have visions and thoughts that aren't mine and I can't tell what's real and what's not real."

  I bite the inside of my cheek, watching as his fingers anxiously tap against his leg, his hurt leg, and a wave of sadness washes over me. He tried to kill himself. I don't think I've ever seen anyone look this sad.

  I think about all my memories and he they revolved around his jump, but I never remembered the actual attempt. Everything seems to relate to it. So maybe this does too...

  "This is why I didn't want to tell you," He whispers. "You're scared."

  "I'm not scared," I say. "I'm not scared of you."

  "You were. I've seen it countless times. When I can't control myself or what I am thinking."

  "Explain to me what that means, Newt. You cant hide this." I grab his hand, voice begging for him to open up to me.

  "I said I can't explain!" He snaps and drops his head, runs his hand through his hair.

  "Newt, please." I say firmly.

  He takes a deep breath. "When I saw you and Aris, there was something standing next to you. A shadow, with no face," He says, as if watching it all over again, eyes sunken. "I remember his voice telling me you didn't love me. That you were evil and that-" His voice catches in his throat. "He told me that I should kill Aris. He poked at me and spoke to me until I couldn't take it anymore." A silent tear rolls down his cheek.

  I take a moment to answer, to gather my thoughts. "Newt, maybe you're being controlled by Wicked, just like Aris and I were." I say slowly, voice shaking a little.

  "No no Olivia it's not the same. The thing was just leading me on but I had a choice. I had control over what I was doing." He rests his head against the car seat.

  I gulp. "What's it telling you right now?" I ask, fearful of his answer.

  He looks at a spot on the floor and then back to me. "It's telling me that because you're holding my hand, I should hurt you."

  And my hand instantly pulls away.

-----------------------------------------------------

  It's night by the time we reach the camps. Sets of large tents scattered over a barren plateau. Fires burning and people hustling and bustling around. It looks like a real army base, even with the guard men and women aiming rifles out into the distance, protecting their community.

  "You're lucky you found us when you did. We're moving out at first light." Sonya says from the front seat as we make our way to the back of the camp.

  "We're heading back to Denver, over the mountains. It's one of the few cities left that hasn't been destroyed by the Flare." Harriet adds, opening the door and jumping out once we park.

  I follow her out, Newt and Aris right behind me and watch as the trucks that carry our other friends approach.

  I turn around in a circle, examining the camp as people stop their business to see who has arrived.

  "This is amazing." I say to Harriet and she smiles.

  "We've been preparing this for years. It's all for you," A loud voice echoes and I turn to see a tall man walking towards us, sporting a beard and a leather jacket. "Name's Vince, and I'm the leader of all this." He says once he reaches us, extending his hand.

  I take it and give it a small shake. "Olivia."

  He raises his eyebrows. "Olivia? As in Olivia Coleman?" He asks.

  I nod my head.

  His eyes widen and he shakes his head. "My oh my," He says to himself. "The star of the operation. Wicked's prized possession. Well, let me say, I wasn't surprised when you told me you were going into the Maze."

  "What do you mean?" I ask, not recalling ever talking to this man in my entire life.

  He takes a deep breath. "You gave me all the plans and coordinates for every Wicked trial, compound and lab," He says, pulling A recognizable chip out of his pocket. The chip I lost in Aris' room. "We couldn't have pulled all this off without you."

  I remember it all now.

  "Let's get you guys some warm clothes." He says and motions to one of the tents. I walk in and see racks of clothing lining the walls and we each take our turns changing into thermal jeans, sweaters and coats.

  I'm the last one to change. I slip my fur jacket on and look in the mirror for the first time in weeks. I tie my hair into a braid and stare at myself for a little, skin pale and scarred, eyes tired and sore. But I'm in one piece. I made it. We made it.

  I inhale a deep, cold breath and leave the tent, passing and making eye contact with Newt. His eyes seem to cry for help, and my hand starts to reach out for him before I hear a whistle sound through the air.

  I turn my attention to a group of people, including Minho, Jorge, Aris, Bonnie and Vince. Brenda lays on the ground, a woman hovering over her and examining her bullet wound. I can't see her face even as I walk closer, Newt in step behind me.

  It's Vince who called my name and he grins when he sees me. "There's someone I want you to meet, Olivia."

  At my name, the woman's head perks up, dark brown hair falling just below her shoulders. Her skin is soft and slightly wrinkled and she looks me over, slowly standing up.

  Her eyes are bright blue, and memories and pieces fall into place.

  Her hands fly to her mouth, and I see tears forming at the bottom of her eyes and she shakes her head over and over and over.

  She removes her hands and a beautiful smile spreads across her face as the tears break loose and roll down the face I thought I would never see again.

  And I finally part my lips to speak, voice hoarse and choked as my own eyes begin to water.

  "Mom?"