❧ Chapter 10

© All Rights Reserved To LuciaWrites

Chapter 10

.....

Cassie's POV

Tears were the first thing I took note of when I saw Claire. The happiness I felt seconds earlier was put on hold when I saw the despair in my best friend's eyes. I sat down next to her on the bed, and she lent her head on my shoulder.

"He told me he likes me," She whispered. "But he also said that we can't be together." I sighed, and thought of ways to console her. "I knew that already, but hearing him say it." She choked a little and cried even harder. "God, i-it just hurt s-so bad."

I wrapped my arms around her, and stroked her hair. "Oh, Claire."

"I don't know what to tell you." I was useless in this situation. I was useless in most situations. Claire was always the one to give me advice when I needed it most, but now, when the tables were turned, I couldn't do anything.

"Tell me what I need to hear, Cassie. Tell me it wouldn't have worked."

That would have been an easy way to end the conversation. But it didn't feel right. "I'm not going to tell you that." Her breathing hitched, and the hysteria in her cries got a bit heavier. "Maybe it would have worked, maybe Zayn would have quit his job, and you guys would have lived happily ever after."

"Cassie, you're terrible at this." She groaned.

"I know," I whispered back, chuckling a little bit. I didn't want to feel as useless as I did, I had to do something to make her feel better. Making her laugh seemed like the easiest way, so I thought of the stupidest thing possible to say at this moment in time. "I'm absolute shit at giving advice. Should we ask Siri?"

Now Claire laughed, and the delightful sound brought a massive smile to my face. "Sure, let's ask Siri you bonehead."

I pulled my phone from the pocket in my pajama shorts, and held the home button down. "What can I help you with?' Appeared on the screen, and I spoke into the device. "Siri, tell me it wouldn't have worked."

"That may be beyond my abilities at the moment." The robotic voice responded.

We both laughed, and Claire pulled her head off me. "I'm sorry I'm such a mess." She mumbled.

I reached forward to wipe her cheeks, and I shook my head at her. "Don't apologize. We all have these moments."

She gave me a light smile, and let a deep breath out. "I don't even know why I'm so upset. We hadn't even talked very much. He's my teacher for crying out loud! I need to find someone that isn't off limits. Is the blonde still downstairs?"

I let out a loud laugh. That was Claire. Always preoccupied with something, or with boys, better said. "No he's not, and besides, Louis protects him at all costs." I yawned, looking at Claire with tired eyes.

She laughed along for a moment, and then laid back into the pillows. I did the same, crawling over her, and to the other side of the bed. The two of us got under the covers, and faced each other. My head hit the pillow and I was out.

...

I was going to kill Claire.

It was seven fifteen on a Sunday morning, and I was awake. I didn't want to be awake.

I breathed deeply, trying to calm the irritation that threatened to boil over when another loud snore erupted from Claire's mouth.

Just as I had right before we went to sleep, I scowled at the back of her head. Climbing over top of her, and out of the bed, I noted how Koda, too, looked very annoyed. His tired eyes looked up at me, and I nodded my head, signaling him to get up.