❧ Chapter 4

© All Rights Reserved To LuciaWrites

Chapter 4

.....

Cassie's POV

"Bye, baby." Alexa kissed Lincoln on the forehead, and smoothed her hair. "We'll be back before midnight." She told me, getting up, and grabbing her purse.

Lincoln doddled over to Louis who was knelt down with arms open wide. "See ya, sweetheart. Have fun with Auntie." Lincoln giggled as he placed kisses all over her face. He set her down on the ground, and stood up, straightening his jacket.

"Alright, we're off." Alexa smiled. "Say bye, Lincoln!" She tested, opening the door.

I knelt down to Lincoln's level, and placed my hands on her belly. "Say bye to mommy and daddy!" I cooed.

"Bye bye," Louis added in, giving a wave.

Lincoln smiled, and flapped her hand around in a wave. "Ba bye," She babbled.

Louis and Alexa laughed, then headed out the door.

"Alright, sweetpea." I said, looking down at Lincoln. "What should we do?"

She just giggled and doddled around in her adorable pajamas.

I picked up a box of toys off the shelf, and dumped them onto the floor. Lincoln immediately took interest in them, and knelt down next to the pile.

While she fiddled with the toys, I grabbed my camera off the counter, and settled down in front of her. I pulled different toys in and out as I snapped images of her, just to mess around with the color scheme, and I sat her in different positions, and played with different angles.

That's basically what the half hour before her bed consisted of...

When it was time for her to lay down, I picked her up off the floor, and brought her into the kitchen. I opened the fridge and looked for her milk, only to find the carton with barely any left in it. I searched for another jug, but found nothing. "Crap," I muttered to myself.

How was I supposed to put her down without any milk? Every night, that's how she went to sleep, Alexa would put her down with a bottle of milk, and she would drink it and then fall asleep. I considered my options for a moment, I could run down to the corner store and pick up some? But that would mean taking her with me, and having to bring Koda with us... It was already eight thirty, and Lincoln was starting to tire...

"Alright," I whispered to myself. "No milk tonight."

I walked down the hall, towards her bedroom, hoping she wouldn't notice the missing part of her bedtime routine. As I neared the door, she started to whimper, and I nearly cursed. "It's okay, Lincoln." I soothed, entering her dark bedroom. She started to cry now, and I laid her down in her crib. "It's okay," I said again, backing out of her room. I closed the door, and winced at the sound of her crying.

"Shit." I mumbled. Grabbing the baby monitor. I looked on the camera, and sighed. She was rolling around in her crib, balling. I put the monitor face down on the table, and left it for a couple minutes, hoping her crying would cease, but it didn't. I picked up the monitor once again, only to see her standing up in her crib, holding on to the bars, and sobbing.

I dropped the monitor onto the couch, then headed back down the hallway, opening the door to Lincoln's room, and closing it after me. I picked her up out of her crib, and she settled into my arms, her crying lessening in volume, but still continuing.

I rocked her back and forth for what felt like hours, but she still would not stop crying, and it was nearing nine o'clock. I gave it a try for a little while longer, and finally... She started to settle. Her tears drying, and her cries turning into small whimpers. Her eyes dropped, and her breathing evened.