Chapter 6

"No no no!" I scream into my pillow, sobbing. Tears stream down my face. It doesn't take long for James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter to appear. "What's the matter Sky?" James asks. "Mum says she's too busy making your robes and finding you a date for our Christmas ball, so she can't do it for me, and I'll have to sit up here alone all night! This is the one day a year I enjoy being at home. When mum helps me with my hair and makeup, when she finally compliments how I look." I say bitterly, throwing a pillow at the wall.
James's face falls. "Sky. I don't even want to go. You should be the one to go." I shake my head. "Mum and Dad would blame it on me." I sigh, then flop onto my bed. I hear some whispering, and then the sound of my door closing.
I hear footsteps walk down the stairs, and when they fade away, I begin to cry. I lay on my bed for hours, just being sad. Christmas is in two days, and the ball is Christmas night. I don't understand why James is the favorite.
What must be late that night, I hear my door creak open, and soft footsteps walk over to my bed. "Sky, are you okay?" Remus asks. "No. No I'm not. This was my one chance to shine. For my parents to see that I'm more than a stupid, ugly, daughter they gave birth to." I whisper.
Remus lays his hand on my arm. "You are not stupid, and you are definitely not ugly. Any parent would be lucky to have you as a daughter, and anybody would be lucky to be your friend. I know a lot has happened lately, and that you're really upset. You don't deserve that." He says. I grin through my tears. "You sure know what to say to people." Remus grins. "Not to everybody." And then he just looks at me, and I look at him.
Remus leaves soon after. I feel oddly sad. Remus makes me feel happy and safe. Eventually, my thoughts drift to Regulus. He didn't want to break up with me. He cared about me. Now he's being forced into an arranged marriage. Tears begin rolling down my cheeks. I promise myself that these will be the last tears I cry for Regulus Black.
The next day is spent with Remus and Sirius. James is with mother, adjusting his robes, getting his hair trimmed, anything he has to have done before my family's actual ball. Peter is watching him.
We make cookies, wrap presents, and drink hot chocolate. We all enjoy Christmas eve.
I'm invited to spend the night in James's room, since it's snowing and I get cold in my room. I use my blankets to make myself a cot. Peter is the first one to sleep. I lay down, but don't go to sleep, though everybody thinks I'm asleep. I hear James bid Remus and Sirius goodnight, and he goes to sleep.
Sirius and Remus begin to chat, and I listen. "Remus. I have a question for you." Sirius says. "Shoot." Remus replies. "Well, you know I'm a bit of a player, but I think I'm ready to stop messing around with girls. There's this one girl I truly think I have a crush on. How do I tell her?" Sirius says. I can hear the dreaminess in his voice. Suddenly, I become very drowsy, and the last thing I hear before drifting off to sleep is Remus asking, "Who's the girl?"
The next morning, I'm awoken by James shaking me. "It's Christmas Sky! Wake your lazy butt up!" He screams, and I laugh. Together we walk downstairs, and there is a stony silence. Remus and Sirius don't talk to each other, and Peter is examining a present his parents sent him.
I decide to try and make everybody happy. I go and sit next to Remus. I proceed to poke him repeatedly. "Remus, hey Remus." I whisper. It takes about five tries to get him to respond. "Yes Sky?" He finally asks. "It's Christmas!" I whisper excitedly. He rolls his eyes. "I'm well aware."
Next I go over to Sirius. "Heeeeeey Siri. Guess what?" I ask, poking him. He sighs. "What is it Sky?" I put my mouth next to his ear. "It's Christmas!" I scream. Sirius flinches, and my mother comes into the room. "Skylar Potter! I cannot believe you would disrespect our guest in such a manner. And I won't even get started on how unladylike it is to scream. Now get up to your room this instant! Chop chop!" She scolds. Sirius tries to pretest that it's okay, but my mother will have none of that. I know better than to argue, so I walk up to my room.
When I get to my room, I realize how cold it has gotten. I wrap a blanket around myself, attempting to get warm. After about an hour, I hear an owl tapping on my window. James's owl. I open the window to see that the owl is carrying a rather large package, and a letter. I open the letter first. It reads,
Hey Sky,
I know that you really wanted to go to the ball, so I bought you this with my allowance. I know you'll be really happy. Sorry I couldn't see your reaction in person, and sorry you got sent to your room on a holiday. Bippity boppity boo.
Love,
James.
I open the box to see the most beautiful dress ever.(Shown above.) It seems to be woven with every color, except it's only black and gold. I cover my mouth. It's beautiful. I make a mental note to never stop thanking James for this.
I spend a long time getting ready. I do my makeup very carefully. Smoky eye and medium gold eyeliner. I put on some red lipstick and see I'm ten minutes late to the ball. Perfect. I put on my heels only go hear a knock on my door. When I open it, Sirius stands there.
He seems to be at a loss for words. Finally he says, "Wow Sky. You look absolutely beautiful. I came up here to ask if you would allow me to escort you to the ball." I smile and nod. "Please do." So I take his arm, and we begin to descend the stairs.