Chapter 7

Sirius grins at me as we walk down the first flight of stairs. I grin back.
Finally, we get to the top of the last flight of stairs. We begin to descend slowly, and I make sure my heels click loudly on the way down. Everybody turns to stare at Sirius and I. My mother wears an expression of horror, my father one of anger.
James looks at me proudly. When I get to the bottom of the steps, he comes over and pats me on the back. "Good job sis. You really made em' angry." He laughs. I smile. "I know."
Just then, another boring song starts to play, and I see my parents coming over. "Sirius, dance with me so they don't kill me." I say. He takes my hand and leads me to the dance floor. He puts one hand on my waist, and I put one on his shoulder. We slowly spin around and around to the music. We talk about how my parents were going to murder me.
After the song ends, my parents don't get the chance to find me before Remus comes over to ask for a dance. Remus is a nice person to dance with. He holds me at a respectable distance, and keeps his hands south of the equator. I had to tell Sirius to do that twice.
Remus and I talk also. We talk about books, movies, our favorite foods, etc. I'm disappointed when the song is over. I enjoy spending time with Remus. He's so easy to talk to, and he's sweet.
Unfortunately, my parents get to me before James can. My mother drags me into the sitting room, my father not far behind. "Young lady!" My mother began. "This is not a circus, so stop with the clown makeup. And I've seen prostitutes wear more appropriate dresses." My mother rants. "I just don't understand where we went wrong." My father exclaims, shaking his head. "Go to your room right now, you disgusting child!" My mother screams. So I step out of the room, and sneak out of the ball room in our mansion before the sobs can escape. I walk upstairs and enter my room to see the one thing that makes my heart break even more. Regulus Black.
He runs over and holds me to him tightly. "I don't care for her. I told them I didn't. I told them that I cared for you and for you only. They said that the Dark Lord wouldn't be happy, that he had hand-picked her for me. They told him. He's coming after you Sky. I'm so sorry." It takes me a moment to process what's been said, but when I do, I grab a pillow and scream into it. "I just want one thing to go my way." I scream, punching the pillow with every word.
Eventually, I go back to Reggie and let him hold me. "We have to run." He whispers. I shake my head. "I can't." Reggie turns me to look at him. "Sky, we have to. He'll be searching for you. He'll kill you for messing up part of his plan." Reggie says. "Reggie, I can't. We have the pretend you didn't warn me. That everything's normal. I'll be going back to Hogwarts in two days. What could be safer?" I say. Reggie sighs. "What about this summer? What will you do then?" I shrug. "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it." Reggie looks at his watch and sighs yet again. "I have to go before they realize I'm missing. Merry Christmas Sky." He shoves a present into my hands and leaves before I can say goodbye.
I swallow a sob and decide to open the present. Inside is a journal that could fit inside a pocket. I hold it in my hands, wondering what the purpose of it could be, until it suddenly grows warm in my hands. When I open it, words are already written on the first page.
Hey Sky. I know you probably hate me by now, but this is in case you need me. If you write in this, my matching journal will get warm, and the words will appear in my journal. So if you ever need me, just write
I smile, despite my situation. He cares about me, not this other girl. So I write two simple words in my journal.
Thank you.
I change into my pyjamas and lay down on my bed. Later that night, my door opens and reveals four Marauders. "Hey Sky." James says. "Hey guys." I say. "We brought food." Remus says. "Yay!" I shout. Sirius steps in, carrying a large pizza. "Cheese?" I ask. He nods. "You have gained entry." I flourish my hands.
So we eat pizza while the boys take turns telling me jokes to make me feel better. And it does.
That night I drift off to sleep, totally happy for the first time in a while.