A Kiss

Take a few breaths. You still have 3 hours Melanie. Calm yourself.

I step out of my shower, dreading the cold air that seeps through my skin, uninvitingly. I look over at the red crew neck t-shirt, black straight jeans, and combat boots. I grab my new cellphone, which is a regular cheap looking phone and I see that I have a message.

Initiation begins at 10 pm sharp. California zone.

Initiation? Zone? What is that? Okay fancy CIA.

Wrapped in my towel I let my body semi air dry and I look into the mirror. I see my hazel eyes and dark brown hair. I see bags under my eyes and my skin unfortunately is losing its tan. Probably from not being in the sun for the past few days. Seems like the dark is all where I have been lately. I sigh loudly and whisper to myself, “I can do this.”

I change, tucking my phone into my boot like Layla told me, and walk out of the restroom to meet with Layla’s famous plain sandwiches and the smell of yummy red velvet cake balls. Layla isn’t really one to cook but she is one to bake.

I put a small smile on my face when I meet Layla’s eyes. This may not be extravagant but this will do just fine.

“Sorry for the plain sandwich babe, you know me my mom never taught me to cook because she was too busy being all over other men.” She rolls her eyes and I chuckle. I like it when Layla gets feisty honestly.

We eat in a comfortable conversation. She tells me about her and Pete and how their relationship is flourishing. I congratulate her and I begin with my story about Darcy.

“I kind of thought he was smitten by you.”

“When did you even talk to him?” I smile loving this conversation.

“Because when I met up with him the other night where you were taken by Michael and I was supposedly with Pete. Sorry about that lie. But anyways, he talked to me about you and I could just tell he was fascinated by your story nonetheless. I guess it was love at first sight for him, I mean you did throw up with him even, if he still likes you after that, being your first meeting, he must like you! The thing that I wonder… what do you feel for him?”

“I like him… a lot. Even if Michael is part of Joe’s evil plan to torture young girls, his forwardness was way too much for my liking. Darcy… he is different. He kissed my forehead after I threw up for Christ’s sake. That must say a lot no?” I laugh a little at the memory. “He is sweet yet dark and mysterious.”

“Ahh every girl’s fantasy.”

“Shut up…” I laugh. I am not your typical girl!

“Trust me I think I know that Melanie Aries!”

We continue talking about memories that we thought were funny until the short 2 hours and a half passed.

That is when Darcy comes through the door.

“No lock girls? Really?” He smiles when he sees me but goes up to Layla and they start to speak in some weird code. Ahhh I wish I was in the CIA so I could understand. Before I could start pouting Darcy comes up to me and grabs my chin softly.

“Okay you are going to cry or scream when we go through that main building got it?”

I am taken back by his vulgar.

“Um okay.” I nod slightly.

“I am technically going to abduct you and bring you back to Joe, but of course this is just an act. So be smart Mel. You have to act like you hate me got it?”

Before I could reply Darcy cups my face with both of his hands. I can feel his warm hands on my now chilled face and then his warm lips on mine.

I feel myself fill with warmth and happiness but before the kiss could continue he stops it and says,

“We don’t have much time. Say goodbye to Layla.” He whispers softly no longer rough. He smiles at me and before I go to Layla he whispers a thank you to my ear.

I walk over to Layla who was in the dining room, probably to give Darcy and me some space.

“He kissed me.” I smile cheerfully when I reach her.

“I thought he would. Congrats hun. However, remember this is business. You have to go in there and be the most unhappy girl ever, ok?”

“Okay.” I reply.

“I love you bestie.” She hugs me hard and I hug her back trying to hold back emotions.

“I love you too.” I reply when I let her go. I begin to walk to Darcy who stayed in the kitchen and I hear Layla call out, “Get them Mel!”

I nod at her and find my hand grasped by Darcy’s.

“One more kiss before we go?”

“Don’t even ask.”

This time his lips lingers.

__________________________________________________

And finally a kiss! Next chapter will be full of actions!