Chapter 5

Daryl takes Rick and Glenn back into the woods, Taz leading the way.

I'm left sitting on the roof of the truck, bow across my lap as I keep a watchful eye.

Carl climbs into the bed of the truck.

"Maggie wanted me to tell you she's going to get water with Beth." He smiles up at me, cross legged in the bed.

I turn to wave at Maggie. She waves back holding up my bag of bottles. Beth beside her smiles and the two head into the trees.

"Wanna play a game?" Carl offers after a short few minutes of silence.

I look down at him. "What game?" 

"Tag?"

I set my bow down beside me, tapping on
My chin in mock thought. Carl yelps as I take my fingers and jab him lightly in the sides. "Tag!" I exclaims rolling off the roof of the truck to the ground.

Carl squeals jumping from the truck. "That's cheating!"

I dart back and forth, from tail lights to head lights a soft smile creasing the corner of my lip.

"Alright fine, I'm it." I lean around the back hitch to try and smack his small hand. He barely comes tall enough to see over the sides of the truck but still manages to avoid me.

"Missed me!" He taunts.

"Oh yeah! I'm gonna get you!" I jump up, planting my boot on the tire, I manage to slap Carl's shoulder before ducking behind the cab. "Got you!"

"Did not!" Carl shouts back in protest.

"Did too!" I jump up, standing on the hood I look down at him. Hidden all but his hat behind the passenger door.

Carl leaps foreword slapping my shoe. "Haha! Got you!" He exclaims dancing out of reach.

I stumble back, holding my chest. "Oh! You little sneak!" I exclaim. "Your mine now."

Carl shrieks out a laugh running down the length of the car.

I drop to my stomach rolling underneath. Carl rounds the car and slides to a stop beside the back tire.

"Shade?" He takes a step closer.

I roll, grabbing his leg. "Got you!" I exclaim before rolling out the other side.

"Hey!" Carl laughs.

I don't notice Rick, Daryl and Glenn come back out of the trees until Taz bounds into the truck bed, barking happily. Planting a sloppy wet kiss to my cheek.

"Good game." I pat Carl's shoulder before climbing back up on top of the truck.

The soft smile that tugs at ricks lips falls flat as I make eye contact.

Carl shuffles across the road to his fathers side.

"Alright everyone listen up." Rick orders, stopping in front the truck I sit on top of.

Hershel lori, Carol, Beth and Maggie flock closer, the girls passing out water bottles as the do. Some watch I was keeping.  Didn't see them come back.

"It's a prison, fell early. Some walkers inside we'll clear the field and then work on clearing out a cell block latter. Find the cafeteria take the food." Rick explains.

"There would likely be an on site infirmary. That would be useful." Hershel suggests standing between his daughters. He looks so tired.

"We'll find that too. Well go tomorrow. Glenn, myself, Daryl, carol, Maggie and shade. We'll break in through the east fence it's weakest. Then once we get into the yard I want Daryl and carol up in the tower. We'll lock the gate to seal everything in the inner court yard until the day after. Once we're clear we'll use the towers to light them up." Rick draws a crude map in the dirt on the hood as he explains.