Chapter 24

Horse, isn't the best name in the world. But it was all I could come up with for the chestnut shire I've grown fond of.

He was a gift from a king... and I wish that was a fairytale.

But he was more of a bribe. To keep me from running back into the woods and never coming back.

Like an I.O.U. But friendlier.

"Patrol is down a rider, shade could you ride with them?"

"Shade, the supply team needs another body."

Shade, you cost us a lot of medical supplies, we own you."

I made the last one up but the king might has well have said it.

Four riders, dressed in hockey pads ride beside me, spears, and bows and swords ready to be wielded against the undead.

And I'm in the middle, sporting a wicked scar across my throat, and up my face. A new bow... courtesy of the kingdom; and a duty to protect the men I ride with...

Just another hour and I can slip away. Maybe for good this time, or maybe back to my family.

A thunderous crack spooks the horses.

"Thunder?" The front rider asks. Under the clear blue sky?

A second crack... and then a third.

"It's coming from around the corner," I stand in the saddle, hooking one foot under the horn.

I pull my longbow off my shoulder.

A sharp cry, smothered by the sounds of the dead.

"On the fence!" I point out, drawing an arrow.

I line up the shot.

The survivor on the ground whimpers, clutching the iron fence tightly.

I fell the first walker. The front rider spears be second.

The survivor curls in on themselves, salt and pepper hair sticking out between the bars.

I nock another arrow. The walker falls from a blow I do not see. Another survivor.

"Carol?!"

I drop back into the saddle, spurring horse foreword. Carol?

His large hooves trample the last walker.

I dive off his saddle, boots sliding on the concrete.

"Hey! Hey! You still with us?" I perch on my toes, untangling the woman from the fence.

She stares up me, eyes glazed.

"Shade?" She squints up at me.

*******

The kingdoms heavy gates groan as they catch on the concrete.

My backpack bounces hollowly between my shoulder blades. The same backpack Aaron gave me I don't even know how long ago.

I waited longer than I should have to come back for supplies... I still don't know if I'm ready to ride through the gates. Summon or no.

"Shae- Lynn!"

I shiver, grinding my teeth together.

"It's shade!" I snap, jumping down off horses back.

I stumble, ankle twinges.

Ben stands in front of me, arms crossed over his chest. He looks so much like... dad.

Bike rises.

"Mom named you after great aunt Lynn. I'm not calling you some dumb name you made up when you ran away." He seethes, long golden hair falling over his forehead, covering the scar dad left.