Chapter 18

The vehicle lurches. So hard all three of us are thrown back.

The knife slips from my bloody grip, and slides away.

My body pulses with each heavy thump of my heart. The stars are dancing overhead behind the dark of the hood.

A few thick tears work their way down my cheeks.

Michonne beside me throws herself upright, using my shoulder and wiggles. Driving her elbow into my already bruised skin.

"Stop! Just... just stop." I croak out, letting my head hang heavily. We'll be dead soon. We're already dead. This is the end.

Blue eyes follow my thoughts.

New tears escape my closed eyes.

"RICK GRIMES!"

I press my chin into my chest, pulling mg legs under me.

"IVE COME TO OFFER YOU A DEAL!"

Rick don't listen. Rick will find a way to make it worse.

"YOU'RE NOT IN THE POSITION TO MADE DEMANDS!"

I almost laugh, despite it all. Laugh through the tears, this is how I die. Collateral damage.

Please don't leave

I promised. I promised.

"LEAVE RIGHT NOW! OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES!"

Light, cold and disorienting fills the vehicle. It sways on the tires with the force of the doors being thrown open.

"WHAT CONSEQUENCES?!"

With a grunt and a hiss hershel is snatched from beside me.

"DADDY!"

My heart is impaled on my ribs. Tattooed to my bruised skin. My gut churns.

Michonne fights and squirms as she's dragged out. Venom in her teeth.

I fight to get my hands under me, my fingers go numb.

"OKAY! I'M LISTENING!"

I've never heard Rick beg before. I never want to hear it.

"NO I DON'T THINK YOU ARE!"

I hiss and spit as someone pinches my anole, drags me across the vehicle and onto my feet. Blood and water sticking to my skin.

One sweaty, meaty hand clamped onto the back of my neck. I'm shoved into the ground. My knees bark.

The bag is pulled off. And the world is no longer a thousand miles away.

"No!"

Daryl. Teetering foreword. Crossbow slack in his grip. Taz barking in circles around him.

Michonne is on my right, sagging foreword. Hershel beside me is stiff. Proud no matter what.

"Listen Rick! We could have worked this out! If you had agreed no one would have had to get hurt." The governor rattles on, malice in every word. "But you made the wrong choice, and this is a new world. New consequences."

Michonnes katana whines as he draws it in his grip. So slow, a thousand shallow breathes.

I blink the spots from my vision. Count the guns. So many guns.

I count my breath.

Hershel straightens, holds his chin high.

I sway to the right. Dizzy.