Chapter 9: Proof

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN DIVERGENT, THAT BELONGS TO THE VERY TALENTED VERONICA ROTH.  

There's an odd number of transfers so each day one of us has to sit out on the fights, today that person was me. Al and Will were reluctantly the first to fight. After a tedious battle waiting for the other to strike, and a mini argument between Four and Eric revolving around the rules of the fight, Al ended up standing over an unconscious Will. The pain obvious within his copper eyes. The rest of the fights are similar, one person stands over another, the only difference is the amount of damage done and the look in the eye of the victor. The last of the days worth of flights is between Chris and Molly. Their names leave Eric's tongue and I can see the falter in Chris' composure. They make their way up to the ring and the moment Chris steps foot in Molly charges, knocking her to the mat and proceeding to beat her bloody. I cringe at the sight and feel the anger bubbling within me. To simmer down the slightest bit I grab a hold of Al's arm and unintentionally dig my nails into his smooth skin, although it doesn't seem to faze him since he simply wraps his arm around me. Chris manages to wriggle free from Molly's grasp and crawls backwards trying to put as much space between them as possible. Molly stalks forward like a predator would to its prey and pulls her foot back before making contact with Christina's ribs earning a shrill screech from her desperate, busted lips. All I can wish for is that Chris goes unconscious, but no, she continues to scream at each point of contact made. I take a step forward only to be pulled back by Al and turn to shoot him a deadly look before I try to yank my arm from his grasp.

"Tris don't." He hisses and I turn and push him back a little. How can he expect me to just stand here and watch my friend scream defenseless? I start to turn again only to meet Eric's eyes. He doesn't look cruel he looks in though, that thought begin broken by the sound of Chris' cracked voice.

"Stop!" She begs and I feel my shoulders drop but my chest tightens the slightest bit. "I'm done, just stop." My eyes shift back to Eric and he starts making his way up to the ring. Each step he takes twists my heart just a little bit more. 'This can't be good.' That's all my mind is thinking as he slowly but surely gets closer and closer the Chris, who lies crimson soaked on the mat.

"Did you just say you're done?" The room is silent besides the ragged breaths escaping Chris. It's not just my heart tightening anymore its my throat, my fits and my stomach as well. She nods softly, blood gushing from multiple places of her face. He grabs her arm and yanks her up before dragging her to the door and shouting for us to follow over his shoulder. I'm the first to move, the rest following behind. Only about two thirds of the initiates are left, the rest brought to the infirmary by Four.God where the hell is he when you need him. Eric's grip never falters as he drags Chris from the training room to the Chasm, her stumbling to keep up with his quick pace. The Pit is deserted due to the time of day and I'm just hoping someone can walk through to stop whatever is about to occur. Eric shoves Chris against the railing and tells her he climb over.

"What the hell Eirc." I growl clenching my fists and taking a step forward. He shoots a glare my way before turning back to Chris.

"Climb over now!" He says slowly articulating each word. "You will hang over the railing for five minutes in order for me to forgive your cowardice. If not you can go join the Factionless." He's so calm and quiet. I'd almost prefer if he were to yell. I glance at the railing and see it's wet and rusty from the splash of the roaring river beneath it. I don't know if Chris could hang for five minutes completely healed, let alone now.

"Fine." Chris' voice is smooth, but I can tell she's panicked as she swings her leg over the railing, standing on her toes until she swings her other leg over. She wipes her hands off before gripping the railing and slowly sliding her feet off the ledge. Al sets his watch and give Chris a nod of encouragement. She doesn't seem fazed one bit for the first minutes, that is until a wave splashes up her back and her hands begin to slip. Tears begin to escape her eyes as another wave hits her and her hand slipped completely off the rail. I clutch Al's shirt and he cups his hands over his mouth to cheer her on.