Chapter 10: Care

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN DIVERGENT, THAT BELONGS TO THE VERY TALENTED VERONICA ROTH.

I was still slightest bit sore the next day, but the ache was a bearable numbness. I woke up in the empty room and slowly got dressed pulling on a tight V-neck T-shirt and some leggings before I walked to the training room, skipping out on the Dining Hall. I was the first to arrive at training the others showing up shortly after. Peter walks in behind the others and I can't fight the smirk pulling at my lips. He has black stitching under his lip and the left side of his face is sporting a decent sized bruise. His eyes scan the room then meet my gaze. They're as cold as ever, but impossible to read, showing no emotion in the forest green orbs. It's not long before Four and Eric begin the day with a demonstration on knife throwing. They line us up before the targets, three knives in our hands as Four gets into his throwing position. I watch closely as he lets the knife fly. It spins in the air before hitting dead center and staying buried deep within the heart of a body shaped target. I get in line with my target as Four had and repeat his motions not once releasing the knife. After I feel I have the motions down I try once more but let go sending the knife spinning tip over handle until it hits the target, then the floor. I take in a deep breath and go through the steps once more, letting the blade fly through the air again. The knife sticks in the left shoulder of the target making me the first to get a blade in the target. I can't help but smile slightly as I look over my shoulder. My eyes lock with Eric's and my smile grows the smallest bit.

"Remind me to never get on your bad side when there are knives present."Al smiles at me dragging my back to the present. I laugh softly and shove him gently shaking my head as I turn back to the target and throw my last knife. It hits closer to the heart of the target sticking once again. We continue to throw and I'm soon hitting the heart of the target nearly every time. Everyone has hit the target besides Al and I can tell he's getting desperate. He throws again and the knife chatters to the floor closer to my own target rather than his own. Eric notices and he begins walking in our direction.

"Is that really the best you can do?" He spits at Al and I stiffen a little.

"Um, it, uh, it slipped." Al stutters cowering away from Eric who is now leaning into his face.

"Go get it then." Eric challenges him but Al doesn't move. "Why are you still here? You scared or something." Eric leans closer to Al and he takes a step back only prompting Eric to move closer.

"Of getting hit by a flying knife, kinda." Al nods and I mentally face palm. You have got to be kidding me! Why wouldn't he think this through?

"Everybody stop!" Eric bellows and everyone freezes not even twitching a muscle. "Go stand at the target." He nearly whispers and Al turns reluctantly with his head down to walk to where he was instructed. "Four a hand please." It wasn't a question, but a sugar coated command. Four grabs four knifes and approaches Eric slowly.

"Is this really necessary?" Four asks calmness lacing his voice.

"Yes, yes it is." Eric gesture for Four to take his position before Al. "Al will stand there until he no longer flinches." Eric says to the room almost sweetly. I can visible see Al shake from where I stand beside Four as he raises his arm to throw.

"Four wait." I announce clearly and loudly, the sound echoing in the silent room. Four shoots me a warning look, but I continue anyways. "Any coward." I spit and Al cringes at the word. "Can prove themselves like this." I motion to the target and Eric groans.

"Fine. Why don't you 'prove' yourself then?" He shrugs holding his arm out to the place currently occupied by Al.

"Ok." I walk to the target swiftly and proudly. Al moves mouthing a 'thank you' to me then quickly scurries off. I turn and press my back to the target standing tall quirking an eyebrow at Eric. I trust Four completely. He will not hit me.