Chapter 18: Fears Part 2 -Eric

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN DIVERGENT, THAT BELONGS TO THE VERY TALENTED VERONICA ROTH.

AN: Btw this is still Tris' POV

I haven't been up to the glass building before, The Pier as Eric had called it, but once I walked in I looked down at The Pit and Chasm far below me and smiled.

"You must enjoy heights." Eric said softly, grabbing my attention. I look up at him to find that he is gazing down at me with fascination.

"I love them. They give me a sense of freedom." I say just barely over a

whisper.

"Is that why you climbed the ferris wheel?" He mumbles raising an eyebrow.

"You knew about that?" I ask looking up at him surprised and he nods.

"I saw you." He says with a small shrug.

"Oh, well I did that to get a vantage point, but I did enjoy being up there, I felt like I could just let go and fly." I say with a shy smile. "I know, that sounds stupid." I whisper my cheeks turning pink.

"Not at all." Eric says with a smile pushing open the door to a stone room littered with graffiti. One of the walls is completely glass, looking into another similar room.

"What is this place?" I ask looking around. A table sits in one corner with two small boxes placed on it and chair are scattered around the room.

"It's The Fear Landscape Room." He states simply.

"Why are we in here?" I ask running my hand along a few of the chairs.

"I want to take you into my landscape." He says picking up the two boxes, his words causing my steps to falter.

"You want to show me your fears?" I ask softly raising an eyebrow.

"I see yours, it's only fair." He opens the box to reveal two full syringes. "Plus I want you to see them." He smiles down at me removing them from their box. "You ready?" He asks motioning to my neck.

"Only if you're sure." I say hesitantly.

"Tris, I'm sure." He chuckles slightly.

"Ok." I whisper. I tilt my head a little and he slides the needle into my skin slowly letting the liquid flow into my veins. He hands me the other box and I look up at him. "I don't know what to do." I admit and he points to a spot on his neck.

"Inject it right here." He instructs and I listen pushing the plunger. He then places the boxes on the table before grabbing my hand and leading me into the other room. "The difference between this and the simulation is that everyone is aware, not just divergents." He says and the room suddenly changes.

I instantly feel wind on my skin and brightness overtakes the room. I squint slightly and when I reopen my eyes fully I see that we are outside the city borders. A noise arises behind us and Eric whipped around tightening his grip on my hand. I hear his breathing pick up and feel his hand get clammy. What is he afraid of? Being outside the fence? Eric closes his eyes and takes deep breaths until the scene quickly changes. (Fear 1: Outside the fence.) We stand in a dark unrecognisable room. Out of nowhere Eric drops my hand and raises it to his throat gasping for air. His knees buckle from beneath him and his face tints red. I quickly move to kneel in front of him, but it's as if he's seeing right through me. I slowly reach my hand up to his face but my hand stops, lingering inches away, unable to go beyond there. He looks terrified, and there's nothing I can do about it. I feel a tear slip down my face as he lays down taking a gulp of air and holding it. (Fear 2: Suffocation.) The room turns black and I move back as the room gets gradually brighter. I hear a gasp and move to help Eric to his feet as something slams into my back shoving me into his chest. I look behind me and see a tall wall, another emerging across from me. I look down the long narrow path and see a wall on one end and another small passageway at the other end. I start walking in that direction, but Eric grabs my arm.