Chapter Nine

Oliver disappeared significantly longer than Theo had ever left me alone for. For a while, I accepted my new situation. I had clothing that fit well. The room itself was warm and cozy. But I didn't quite like being alone for so long. The night faded into dawn without Oliver returning. I drifted into a quiet sleep atop of his bed and when the day had moved into night once again, I was still alone.

It didn't help that I didn't know the rules within this room. Were there any rules at all? I ended up deciding rules didn't really matter anyway and crept from the room swiftly. I wasn't familiar with this part of the mansion, but I figured if I wandered enough I'd find someplace I could recognize.

I made it well enough by myself up until my path was abruptly halted by a looming figure. I stepped back only a step, looking up into the face of none other than Jax. His onyx eyes were watching me curiously, looking over my body and possibly the outfit I had been placed in. It was only a pullover sweater dress over a pair of fitted jeans.

"Katia, is it?" Jax asked me quietly.

"Yes. Hello," I spoke to him carefully, recognizing that this was the first time I had directly spoken to him. I looked him over as well, noting his usual well-pressed and yet average clothing. "You look nice." Jax appeared startled by the comment, his eyes tense.

"What were you doing?" He asked me, his tone obviously scolding. I immediately became defensive, crossing my arms and looking away sharply.

"What do you mean what am I doing? Are you trying to say something?" I asked just as accusingly, turning my eyes on him from the side. "What were you doing?"

"You shouldn't just wander around the mansion. You might end up somewhere you shouldn't be. You might end up hurt," Jax responded, ignoring my questions in a way I was beginning to notice was very much like him.

"I'm not afraid of being hurt," I stated simply, dropping my arms, "I don't feel in danger, anyway. I feel safe here." Jax stepped forward, lifting his hand to my face almost in an intimidating manner. He restrained himself from touching me, only inches away, but the move was enough to cause that intoxicating aura to rise from being so close.

"You're possibly in the most dangerous place on Earth," Jax told me slowly before pulling away from me swiftly, "I'm able to control myself. I can't say the same for the others. You may be Oliver's for now, but it doesn't guarantee your safety from the rest of us. You should travel with more care, Katia." His words only unnerved me slightly, but the rest of me still couldn't register that he or the others would actually harm me. Or perhaps I could understand this fact, but couldn't help but desire it. Either way, I had a sudden urge to explain myself.

"I was... lonely," I explained before Jax could turn away. "Oliver's been gone awhile..."

"He always takes longer than necessary on his drop-offs. He's usually dependable, but he tends to get distracted easily," Jax told me simply, but something seemed to register at the fact. "Did he leave you with any food?" The question sparked a hunger I hadn't noticed before. I shook my head; it had been quite a while since I had any food. Jax held out his hand, similar to the way he had offered it to me when I'd first arrived here. I reached for it immediately, pausing just before touching him, but then couldn't find a reason why I should deny him.

Jax's touch was like a bright fire, lighting from my hand up throughout the rest of my body wildly. I almost didn't notice him leading me through the halls swiftly. He moved me past another hall that I finally recognized as one that would lead to Theo's room, but continued until we were walking into a separate room.