Chapter Twenty

"So she traveled the lands. She slept under trees with pink leaves that fell and floated in the air. She meandered through villages, collecting information from the locals. It was dangerous, but she did what she must to get revenge," I declared ominously, stabbing my fork into a sliced piece of strawberry.

I stood a distance from the kitchen counter, close enough to feast on my fruity snack but far enough to wander around the space I was provided as I told my story. Though, to be honest, it wasn't my story. I was only describing a movie Levi had taken me to see awhile back.

Oliver sat at the counter, occasionally stealing a piece of my food contently. He watched me with amusement as I raised and lowered my arms, took my steps, and reimagined the scenes as if I were a character in the story.

Nearby, Jax was seated as well. His dark eyes were observing me with great concentration, as if the things I was saying actually mattered rather than being some silly nonsense. Other than listening to me, it appeared he wasn't there to do anything else. He didn't indulge himself by feeding on human food, nor did he seem to have any message to deliver. He had merely appeared as an audience and I quite enjoyed the attention.

"Then she finally found him," I announced dramatically, biting the strawberry from my fork. I liked fruit. It was sweet, like candy, but filling. I pulled my arm up, pointing the fork at an imaginary character with determination. "'Lou Sinung', she said with her sword raised in front of her. He had stolen those she loved from her and for this, he would die. Her final words were thus: 'Jigou Jitoku'. And they fought."

I abruptly stepped forward, slicing my fork through the air. My imaginary foe blocked easily, so I continued my attack with determination. My body twisted like a dancer's, my feet scaling in position as I swung my invisible sword dangerously.

For a moment, I thought I could see an actual sword in my hand. It was like a sudden memory of a past I couldn't recall having, but it was too familiar for it not to be real. The feeling itself was familiar, after having so much information being provided without reason throughout my existence. I sliced my sword downward with a loud cry, striking my imaginary opponent and then crouched before striking the fatal blow that would end the battle.

I paused for a moment, remembering I was still in the kitchen with Oliver and Jax as my audience. I straightened promptly, smiling shyly before saying, "And vengeance was hers, of course. After that, she was finally able to live her life in peace." Then I posed again, pretending to balance my fork as my sword.

"Your form is quite well," Jax replied to my finale. "Either you're a good actor or perhaps you've practiced with a sword before?" I twirled my fork around before facing Jax, pointing at him menacingly with my weapon.

"Maybe. Maybe not. But you'll do well to remember this," I answered dangerously, still in character. "Mess with me and you just might find yourself run through by the point of my sword, Sir Jax." I jabbed my fork in his direction threateningly. A sly smile slowly rose on Jax's features as he watched me intensely, the smile itself surprising on such a serious man.

"Before making such threats, I think you should be aware of just who in this room has a sword and who is more likely to be... run through," He said, his tone suddenly low and suggestive. A feverish heat hit me in record speed, sending a blush over my skin just as quickly as I could take my next breath.

"Jax cracking jokes. I never thought I'd live to see this day," Oliver laughed loudly, before addressing me, "I do have a question, though. What was that you said? Her final words?" I paused, thinking back just a moment before pointing my fork-sword at Oliver.