Chapter Thirty-Five

I stood awkwardly in the main sitting room downstairs where Scarlett was seated patiently. She held a small glass of what appeared to be blood in her hand and was watching me with those heavy, black eyes. Theo stood in the distance silently, his appearance only possible because he didn't trust me alone with another vampire unless it was one of his brothers.

Scarlett had only just arrived several minutes ago, though I wasn't sure why. Sebastian asked for me to keep her company while he retrieved whatever it was she wanted. And whatever it was, Sebastian obviously hadn't prepared it sooner because he'd yet to return. Regardless, I was certain he would've asked anyone else to keep her company, but I had been the one curious enough to peek on who our visitor was and therefore I had stepped into the position rather accidentally.

It was only luck that Theo had appeared as well. Or perhaps no luck at all. He stood silent like a statue as though he weren't there at all. The awkwardness of the silence only added to the atmosphere until I was cursing my unexpected curiosity.

"So, Katia was it?" Scarlett finally spoke, not removing her gaze from me.

"Yes and you're Scarlett," I replied, my tone unintentionally sharp.

"Did you ever make your choice?" She asked curiously, though something in her gaze was absent of real emotion. It was more logical; predator-like even. I recognized her mimicked humanity; a politeness not necessary but something all vampires attempted around me.

"My choice?" For a moment, I wondered if she knew about the decision Sebastian had forced me to make, but then I recalled her words in the club and paled.

"Did you choose which of the Genesis brothers you'll ask in the end to be your one true Master?"

Theo cleared his voice, obviously suddenly amused.

"Do you truly find that outrageous, Theodore?" Scarlett asked, inspecting his form with her heavy gaze. Theo finally looked from her to me. I felt more comfortable under his stare, a warmth of joy flowering within me just from one admiring glance. He turned back to Scarlett.

"Katia is our master," Theo finally answered simply before closing off once again.

"A vampire admitting a pet has authority over him," Scarlett mused nearly skeptically.

"I'm not a pet," I replied quickly, crossing my arms uncomfortably as those eyes targeted me once again. "I live and work here. I will do so until I no longer wish to... or until Sebastian no longer wishes me to." Scarlett was silent for a considerable amount of time as she continued to observe me.

"Or until you kill for them and become one of us," Scarlett stated simply, "Is that your goal, little witch?" I blanched at the thought, tightening my hands into fists.

"I would never... I wouldn't kill anyone," I told her determinedly. And besides, I wasn't sure if a Phoenix could convert to a vampire as a normal witch could. What if murder held a more dangerous consequence to my kind? What if I would cease to exist at all?

Scarlett was suddenly addressing Theo, "You know it's quite similar to Desmond; what you all are doing. Collecting witches and converting them in the long run..."

Theo tensed as my heart thudded painfully in panic just at the mention of the name. An image of Desmond flashed across my mind; him leaning over me and snuffing my life just after delivering his dangerous promise. I'm coming for you, Phoenix.