Chapter Twenty-Seven

I scaled along the walls of the building stealthily, or so I hoped. From what I could tell, my presence here was completely unexpected. The Exodus coven had obviously cast a protection spell to prevent outsiders from finding them. They hadn't thought I wouldn't help vampires to break through the said spell.

I knew they had Miles here. I could feel him. Or, more accurately, my magic could sense him. It was the same prickle of awareness that left goosebumps on my skin anytime one of the others so much as spoke within my perimeter. He was close and all I needed to do was keep following his mystical scent.

I could hear movement within the building. There were other witches, some who probably heard the racket when I had fought with their leader. If I wasn't quick or careful enough, I'd be caught. I wasn't sure of my skill versus multiple witches and I didn't want to harm anybody. I just wanted Miles back.

I followed my instincts quietly, my heart thudding fearfully in my chest. When I came across a nearly hidden door, I reached for it and just as quickly retreated back against the wall. Three witches ran across the hall adjacent to me where they would have easily seen me attempting to approach the door. I had only just moved in time to hide and the thought of how fortunate I had been only proved to steal my breath further.

I had to convince myself to move once they receded towards the front doors. My limbs were frozen with mild panic; my bravery having its own limits. If I was caught and unable to control my magic enough to protect myself, I would no longer exist and Miles would still be a prisoner. He was beyond that door. I had to move.

I pushed myself forward, reaching for the door once again. Once opened, I stepped inside quickly and nearly fell down a flight of steep stairs. The door shut quietly behind me despite my clumsiness and I allowed myself a moment to calm down. Then I began to take the steps quickly, my heartbeat rising as the sensation along my skin only amplified.

The stairs led to a hall of doorways, almost like an insane asylum. I approached them carefully, brushing my hand along them until my touch over one door sent a shock of power over my fingers. He was here.

I tried to open the door, but it was locked both physically and magically. I took a couple of breaths and then placed my hand on the surface of the door determinedly. I knew nothing about using my magic beyond what Miles had taught me, but I focused on calling it forth anyway. Without a spell coming to my mind, I instead focused on what it was I wanted. Open. Open.

My power surged over the door wildly. For a moment, I worried it would deteriorate it entirely. Then I realized it was attacking the magic that held the door firmly locked. It was quick work. Soon, the door was just a door and when I reached to open it, I was allowed entry without resistance.

The room was dark besides a dim red light that caused there to be a disturbing atmosphere. There was no idea of comfort; the area was without furniture or windows. It was a blank room with a cold concrete floor. Along the furthest wall were chains and attached to them was a figure.