Chapter Thirty-Two

I was lying under my sheets, waiting for sleep to take ahold of me. The sun had already risen outside, so I should have drifted by now. But I found myself overwhelmed by this room; this bed. I ran my fingers over the fabric of the sheets, trying to wrap my head around the idea that it was mine and mine alone.

I rose from the bed, planting my feet on the cool flooring. And then I left my room to wander purposely through the hall. In a way, I wasn't officially in trouble any longer. I was a part of this family, if what Sebastian suggested was true. It meant if I got caught out and about, I wouldn't be scolded or punished for it, right?

I came to a crossing point where I needed to make a choice. I stood still, thinking over my options. Oliver would probably run if I went for him. Miles wasn't in his room. Levi was a good choice if I wanted the warmest comfort. But for now I wanted a cool touch; something soothing and painless like a breeze on a summer day.

I moved quietly over the floor, trying to not disturb anyone who may be resting. When I first arrived, my vampires would fall into a deep sleep the moment the sun was in the sky. But over time, their sleep became lighter, only taking them when they allowed it to. I hadn't addressed the subject before being that things like that rewarded me with strange looks.

When I found the room I aimed for, I entered without knocking. I saw Theo's form resting peacefully on his bed and I moved around to approach him. Without hesitation, I lifted the sheets and crawled into bed next to him. And then I shuffled closer to him, running my body along his and reaching out to grasp his arm.

Theo tensed sharply, startled awake by my sudden advances. His eyes glowed in the dark of his room, but I continued to tug on his arm which had become unmovable in his woken state. His gaze rolled down to my form almost coldly, but then he humored me and allowed me to pull his arm around me. Once I felt satisfied against him, I sighed contently and leaned my head back to look at him.

"Don't you have your own room now?" Theo asked me almost suspiciously.

"Yes, but I don't want to be alone," I replied quietly, wondering if perhaps now there was a certain etiquette I was supposed to be following now that I was no longer a pet. "Can I stay with you tonight, Theo?"

"Well, you've already made yourself comfortable," He replied emotionlessly, but a shine of what could have been amusement crossed his features. I lifted a hand to his face, petting his cool flesh pleasantly. His eyes closed in response; his body unmoving as if he could disappear any moment.

I placed a light kiss on his lips and buried my face into his chest before I was finally able to allow sleep to take me. I had wanted my own room and independence, but at the same time I wanted the embrace of those I loved. I didn't want isolation. It was my hope to find a balance.

When I woke, it was to the sound of conversation.

"My bedroom is not some common room where you all can come and go as you please," Theo muttered, most unhappily.

"Admit it, you love the company," Oliver replied humorously.

"Yeah, don't worry, Teddy. The next time I have trouble sleeping, I'll come snuggle up to you instead of Oliver," Miles teased as well.

"Clothed or naked?" Oliver asked.

"Naked of course," Miles answered, "Theo, tell me you don't want all this on you. I've seen the way you look at me when you think I don't notice."

"You're repulsive," Theo stated without amusement.

"Excuse me," Levi suddenly chimed in, sounding offended.