Chapter Thirty-Three

I spent all my time learning. Miles continued teaching me how to control my magic, integrating what Jax was teaching me about artifacts in a way to allow me to learn how to use my magic in order to become useful in that area. Jax had me practice both activation and deactivation of artifacts that he'd already inspected, appraised, and deemed safe in my hands. Some of them were easy; almost familiar in my subconscious. Others were outlandish and difficult to maneuver. Jax was quick to notice that I did better around artifacts which previously belonged to the Genesis coven.

Beyond this, the others were teaching me about their society. I was taught who to speak to when I wanted certain things; such as custom clothing or even my own car. I was being brought along as a guest to certain events, all of which were small, secure, and private. I was introduced to buyers, tippers who whispered to Sebastian of valuable artifacts yet to be possessed, and "friends" of the Genesis brothers such as Scarlett who aided each other in preventing the craze from spreading when possible. Many viewed me suspiciously. Others held curiosity in their gaze. But most, especially the vampires, were unmoved and unconcerned.

Still, every new person was another notch of anxiety in my gut. I feared their words would travel. I feared the Exodus coven would make another attempt to attack my vampires. And beyond this, I feared the ever-absent Desmond; a man I had only met once and yet still haunted my dreams repetitively.

My only reprieve was in the arms of my vampires, who always welcomed me as if I was the sunlight they'd been deprived of for centuries. I found I couldn't spend many of my nights alone and often would travel the halls in the quiet of the day to rest with whomever I particularly desired; except for Jax or Sebastian. I wasn't sure what type of reaction I would receive should I invade their sleep so informally.

I was gazing at Jax, my elbow resting on my knee and my face resting on my hand. He was focused on a gem within his grasp. His focus was such that he hadn't blinked or moved an inch in the past hour. I was seated on the floor of his office by choice, an older unsold artifact placed in front of me. My artifact was something like a Romanesque coin. I had been ordered to determine what magic was imbued in it and then in turn activate said magic.

The coin wasn't from Genesis, but I'd noticed a scrawl of a lost language around the edges which spoke of a type of grounding. When activated, the coin would help its owner stay calm and clear-minded, but otherwise did nothing else. I instead chose to watch Jax inspect his own artifact curiously.

"Have you activated your artifact, Katia?" Jax abruptly asked knowingly without moving from his position. I quickly looked down sheepishly. I picked up the coin carefully, flipping it in my palm. Then I reached out to it with my own magic, feeling the hair on my skin rise as my power brushed the dormant magic within the coin. After a moment, I coaxed it to the surface and smiled triumphantly.

"Done," I stated, pleased. Jax put down his own artifact and turned his gaze on me, causing a nervous heat to boil within me in response. I squirmed where I sat, clasping the fabric of my clothes shyly.

"It appears Miles isn't as terrible of a teacher as I thought he'd be," Jax mused thoughtfully. He addressed me more directly. "You've gotten considerably better." He watched me only a moment longer before turning his attention back to the gem.

I stood up, stretching as I moved. And then I began to move around the office absently. I'd begun to get bored by the artifact lessons. After the initial lectures, it'd become nothing more than inspect this object, activate that one, and determine the origin of this one and so on. I was glad to be of use to them; to be wanted and safe. But being stuck practicing on things that weren't necessary was becoming taxing.