Chapter Twenty-Six

I was seated at the bottom of the stairs, just in sight of the front doors

I was seated at the bottom of the stairs, just in sight of the front doors. My hands were clasped in my lap as I stared at the doors determinedly, leaning my head against the rails of the stairway. Occasionally, an impatient sigh escaped me, but otherwise I was still.

Miles was late. He had told me he wouldn't be gone long, but two nights had passed without Levi and him returning from their assignment. I spent my time trying not to be concerned with their absence, but there was an uneasy feeling within me that only increased over time. Before long, I found myself neglecting my practice of magic and instead staring at the door while willing them to return.

My wait was interrupted when Sebastian appeared around the corner, entering my vision. He appeared to be in a discussion on his cellphone, but when he caught sight of me, he promptly ended the call.

"Katia," He greeted me, smiling pleasantly.

"Hello, Sebastian," I answered, ducking my head bashfully. Sebastian appeared amused by my shyness. He glanced towards the doors momentarily and then back to me before approaching me. I watched as he sat on a step near me.

"You can call me Seb, if you'd like," He told me. I considered it, but then shook my head.

"I like Sebastian," I hesitated as my skin flushed. I felt so nervous around him suddenly. "I mean, I like the name Sebastian... but I do like you, too. I mean... because you're nice and... I'm waiting for Miles to come home." Sebastian had allowed me to stumble over my own words without taking his dark eyes off of me, but at my last statement he frowned and turned away.

"He's still not back, hmm?" He began to fiddle with the screen of his cellphone absently. After a moment, he put the device away once again and turned to me with a reassuring smile. "I'm sure Levi and him have just been messing around. They should be back soon." I squeezed my hands together on my lap, that uneasy feeling still gripping my soul.

"I think something's wrong," I admitted quietly.

"Don't worry, Katia," Sebastian responded gently, "I've heard you've been practicing magic. How has that been?" I knew he was trying to draw my mind from my concerns, but the subject only reminded me that the one who was teaching me control wasn't here. I shrugged halfheartedly.

"I'm starting to get a hang of it," I replied without enthusiasm. I turned my eyes to Sebastian slowly, noting his own mood darkening with concern in response to mine. I didn't like the idea of dampening his heart, so I pushed myself to smile. "Would you like to see?"

"Sure," He said, his form softening under my look.

I lifted one of my hands, thinking of Sebastian watching as I summoned my power. It was reluctant, but I pushed around the barrier that stifled the majority of my abilities. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but as I called my power to the surface, a glow began to light on my fingertips. It felt cold to me, as though the magic was numbing my fingers, and I knew if I touched something I could probably transform it into whatever I desired.