Chapter 6

Doctor : She's fine. We've done some tests and I've given her an injection. We're shifting her to a room. She's still unconscious but she'll wake up soon. Also, I wanted to ask you one thing. Is it the 1st time that she felt such an excruciating pain?

Manik : Yes doctor. This is the first time ki Nandini ko aisa headache hua hai that it became unbearable for her. Doctor, everything is okay na?

Doctor : For now, yes. We'll know more once we get the test results. So, we need to wait. And Mr? I'm sorry aapka naam?

Manik : Manik. Manik Malhotra. 

Doctor : Okay. So, Mr. Malhotra yeh kuch dawaiyaan hai jo maine Nandini ke liye prescribe ki hai. Usko yeh breakfast, lunch aur dinner ke baad deni hai. 

Manik nodded and took the prescription from the doctor. The ward boys got Nandini out on a stretcher. Manik looked at her.

Doctor : You can go with Nandini. And call me once she has gained consciousness. 

Manik : Okay doctor. 

Manik went along with the ward boys towards the hospital room.

In the hospital room 

Manik was sitting on the stool besides Nandini's bed when he heard something.

Nandini : Ma.. Manik..

Manik immediately got up from his seat to look at Nandini. She opened her eyes. Manik sighed in relief. Nandini tried to get up. Manik helped her sit. He filled a glass of water from the nearby jug and made her drink some water. She drank the water and looked at Manik. He wasn't looking directly into her eyes. This bothered her. 

Manik : Tumhe bhook lagi hai? You want to eat something? Mei tumhare liye kuch khane ko lekar aata hu.

Manik still avoided eye contact. He was about to go.

Nandini : Manik, I don't want anything. Come here. 

She signalled him to come and sit beside her on the bed. She knew Manik was making excuses to hide his feelings. Manik didn't want her to see his pain.

Manik : Nandini, I'll call the doctor. You're conscious now. So she'll come and check you. Wait, I'll call her. 

He turned to leave. 

Nandini : (In an assertive voice) Manikkk.. Sit.

Manik turned around and came towards the bed. Nandini shifted a little to make place for Manik on the bed. He sat there with his head hung low and constantly fidgeting with his fingers. It hurt Nandini to see him like this. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She had to be patient to get him out of his trance. 

Nandini : Manik, look at me. 

He did not oblige. Nandini just looked at him. She needed to try something else. 

Nandini : What is this Manik? Why aren't you looking at me? I was the one who fell unconscious and.. 

Manik's head shot up at the word ‘unconscious’ and what Nandini saw on his face broke her heart. Tears were streaming down his cheeks. Fear was evident on his face. Nandini moved closer to him and cupped his face. Manik pulled her closer to him and hid his face in her hair. He sobbed like a baby. Nandini's one hand was rubbing his back and her other hand was caressing his hair. 

Nandini : Manik, mei thik hu. I'm fine. Kuch nahi hua hai mujhe. I'm here, Manik. Shhhh...

She tried consoling him. He just hugged her tighter as if loosening the grip would make her vanish. Nandini's heart pained at his state but she had to be strong. She kept whispering sweet nothings into his ears. When Manik had calmed down, they broke the hug. Nandini wiped the tears on Manik's cheeks. Manik held both her hands in his and looked at her. 

Together Hamesha❤जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें