Chapter 20

At Abhimanyu's house

Abhimanyu was getting dressed to meet Mukti. He stood in front of the mirror while putting on his deodorant. He wore his watch and looked at himself in the mirror. He had a huge smile on his face. 

Abhimanyu : I hope Mukti ko mera surprise acha lage aur aaj woh mujhe maaf kar de. I know mei yeh forgiveness deserve nahi karta hu because maine usse bahut jyaada hurt kia hai. Aur agar woh mujhe maaf nahi karti hai, toh I'll understand. Lekin mei usse manane ke liye kuch bhi karne ke liye taiyaar hu. If I have to, I'll beg in front of her until she forgives me. Now is the time to make amends and I'll do everything in my power to make it all okay. Mukti, I'm coming. Tumhara Abhimanyu aa raha hai. Be ready!

Saying that, he left for the farmhouse with a million hopes in his eyes, completely oblivious of what lay ahead of him.

At the farmhouse

Everyone was in a state of shock after hearing about Manik's potential demise. Tears formed in each of their eyes. A burnt car and a burnt body? Manik's burnt body? They didn't want to believe what they heard, but did they have any other option? Mukti sat on her chair, numb. Her face looked blank. Only one statement invaded her mind : The promise that Manik made to her the previous night, "You're not losing anyone. I promise." Nandini, who was standing near the staircase, felt as if someone had ripped her heart out of her chest. Hot tears blurred her vision and made their way down her cheeks. She mumbled something. A billion thoughts flooded her mind. Nahi. Manik aisa nahi kar sakta hai. Woh mujhe aise chod kar nai jaa sakte hai. Manik me mujhse wada kiya tha. Woh apna wada nai tod sakta hai. As she tried to walk forward, her feet staggered. In an attempt to balance herself, she caught hold of a nearby table but in the process, knocked down the vase on it. It fell to pieces on the ground. Alya and Navya got up from their seats and rushed towards Nandini. The news had left everyone aghast but they couldn't even come to comprehend what Nandini must be going through. They sure were devastated, but Nandini was their top priority, given her condition. They held her by her shoulders and helped her keep her feet to the ground. The inspector questioned on the phone again.

Inspector : Hello? Miss Mukti? Hello?

Cabir composed himself and picked up Mukti's phone that had fallen on the table. He put the speaker off and pressed it against his ear.

Cabir : Hello, yes Inspector. This is Cabir speaking.

… 

Cabir : His name is Manik Malhotra. He's our friend.

Cabir shut his eyes in pain. If what the inspector said was true, his best friend was no more? Cabir refused to believe it. It was just yesterday when they got to know about Nandini's tumor. Manik had left but come back safe and sound. Was Nandini's fear an indication of…?  His trance was broken when the inspector said something again.

Cabir : I'm sorry, what?

...

Cabir : Okay inspector. I'll be there. Thank you. 

He disconnected the call. 

Dhruv : (trying to control his sobs) Kya.. Kya bola inspector ne? 

Cabir : He said that we have to go for the bo.. body's iden.. identification. 

Cabir stammered as if voicing out about Manik's death would make it all come true. Mukti started laughing satirically. All of them looked at her in horror. Mukti got up from her seat.

Mukti : Come on guys! Don't tell me y'all believe all this. It's crap guys. Manik ko kuch nahi hua hai. He's completely alright. 

Aryamann : What? Mukti yeh tum kya bol rahi ho? Abhi toh inspector ne...

Together Hamesha❤जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें