5: Dinner With The Hales

MELISSA HALE
Melissa watched from the kitchen window as her sons interacted with Scott's new friend. She hadn't heard the end of this 'Stiles' boy since Scott had met him on his first day and she had been looking forward to meeting the boy who'd made Scott's first week at a new school so easy.

The boy was fairly tall and lanky. He had short brown hair in a buzz cut which would have looked thuggish on most boys but his friendly demeanour and relaxed body language didn't allow for that appearance. He was nicely dressed and was joking around with Scott. There was something off about the image though; Derek.

Derek was resting on the hood of his car watching the two with a neutral expression on his face in lieu of his perpetual scowl. Melissa couldn't believe her eyes. In their old town Derek had hated Scott's friends and refused to be in the same room as them or give them lifts anywhere. Yet he'd brought Stiles Winchester here without Scott even having to ask twice and was actually sticking around.

She decided to put it at the back of her mind for now and opened the window.
"Scott, invite your guest inside!" She called.
"Yeah mom!" The trio made their way into the house and Melissa met them in the living room. Stiles immediately stood straight and held a hand out to Melissa.
"Stiles Winchester. Thank you for having me over for dinner." He smiled at Melissa. He was well raised and polite. He had a sweet smile that had a hint of mischievousness to it. Melissa definitely liked him.

"It's no trouble Stiles. I'm Melissa, Scott tells me you're a lasagne fan so I made my special recipe." She said shaking his hand lightly. Stiles face lit up like a Christmas tree.
"Really?! Thank you so much! I'm really looking forward to trying it Ms. Hale."
"Please, call me Melissa. It'll be ready soon so could you lay the table, Scott? Derek you can sort out drinks for everyone." Her sons jumped into action and Stiles followed to help.

It was hard raising werewolves but Melissa pride herself in her sons' obedience and manners. Despite how different Scott and Derek were, they both had equally unshakable respect for their mother. Derek was 4 when Scott was born, he'd been a quiet child but was very close with his father.

Scott was 2 when their father left the family with no explanation and it had hit Derek hard. He became very reserved and barely spoke to anyone, he was extremely protective over Scott. That stopped however when Derek went to high school and he chose to be a loner and focus totally on his studies. As a result, Derek had graduated with some of the highest grades in his class. Scott had always been Derek's polar opposite; friendly, a bit of an airhead and loved being around people.

Melissa was shaken from her thoughts when she heard the egg timer ring shrilly. She entered the kitchen and found Derek pouring drinks, the Hale family were creatures of habit and always had the same. Water for himself, Apple juice for Melissa, a coke for Scott and another water, presumably for Stiles.

"So what do you think of Scott's friend?" Melissa asked casually. Derek peered at her over his shoulder suspiciously.
"I don't think anything." Derek said blankly.
"Well you've never liked one of Scott's friends before." She tried.
"I never said I liked him." With that, Derek expertly carried all four glasses from the room into the dining area. Melissa sighed and took the lasagne from the oven.

STILES
Stiles' mouth watered at the smell of the lasagne, he had high hopes for Melissa's cooking. She set the dish in the middle of the table and took Stiles' plate first, scooping out a large helping for him.
"Perfect." Stiles clasped his hands together in excitement and Scott and Melissa laughed. She served everyone else and they started eating.

When Melissa and Derek had finished and Stiles and Scott were on their third helpings, Melissa spoke up.
"I'm sorry if your mother and father were uncomfortable with Scott being in your house, I suppose you can understand better than most people why he can't just go round telling people." She apologised. Stiles tore his eyes away from the forkful of lasagne he had in his hand, about to say something but Scott beat him to it.