10: Truce

A/N: Published this earlier than I was going to as a thank you for all the love you guys have been showing for the story! Thank you so much, keep leaving comments, they make my day and I'll shut up now.

SAM
He sensed a Dean-tantrum was going to happen so he ushered Castiel, Derek and Dean outside. The older boy looked mildly irritated which looked odd on his generally straight face.
"Dean why are you going crazy over this?" He whispered in his brother's ear.
"Because! I don't want him sleeping in the same room as Stiles!" He muttered.
"I can hear you." Derek said blankly. Castiel spoke in his defence.

"I don't have an issue with it, Derek's intentions are not impure." He stated. Dean couldn't deny that, Cas' angel senses were infallible.
"Listen Dean you gotta cut the kid some slack, he's been nothing but helpful and polite since you've got here." Sam chided.
"Besides the point." His brother snapped.
"What's besides the point, Mr. Winchester?" Sam hadn't expected Derek to speak, neither had Dean apparently as he stared at him.

"What exactly do you think I'm going to do to Stiles?" He asked. Dean was flabbergasted, Derek continued, his eyes flaring red. "He's my brother's best friend. His first friend that he can be comfortable around because he doesn't have to keep secrets from him. Despite appearances I do care about Scott and I'm not going to do anything to jeopardise this." No one dared to speak, they hadn't foreseen Derek being so honest about his emotions.

"I'm used to being thought of as scary and threatening by everyone but you know what me and my brother are. So why is it you don't find Scott dangerous in any way? Is it because he's friendly and talkative? Because make no mistake, he is a wolf." He breathing was slightly accelerated, Sam could tell he was getting angry. As was Dean by the deep v his eyebrows had set into.

"I sure as hell don't think you're a threat because you're a werewolf, Derek. I'm a goddamn hunter, like I don't have experience in topping your kind." Castiel placed a restraining hand on his husband's arm. "You're a threat because I know just how you feel about Stiles, I wasn't born yesterday." His brother and Derek seemed to be trying to out-scowl each other. Sam decided to step in.

"Dean, I understand Stiles is your son but Cas doesn't feel Derek is a threat and he of all people would know." He reasoned.
"I feel that the way you're treating Derek is unfair." Castiel added. "Do you not trust me?" He looked hurt and Dean's face fell, he was conflicted. His brother rest a hand on the back of his partner's head. They seemed to be having an unspoken conversation via their eyes.

STILES
He wasn't sure what had happened while he and Scott had been at the lake but it couldn't have been good. His fathers were gone and Derek was sitting by the fire with Sam, listening intently to his uncle while staring into the flames. He looked over at Scott who had worry written all over his face, despite him being scratchy with Derek he was clearly concerned.

"Where are my dads?" Stiles asked. Sam looked up, Derek's eyes didn't move from their focus point.
"They went for a walk." Sam said pointedly. He knew what that meant, they'd disagreed on something.
"Uh, what happened?"
"When your pa was setting up the tent earlier, or trying to, he ripped Derek's compartment." Stiles now had a pretty good idea as to what went down.

"Ah... Is Derek staying in ours?" He tried to smile at Derek, but the older Hale didn't look.
"Yeah, if you guys don't mind." He confirmed. The boys shook their heads. Sam stood, "Stiles wanna take a walk?" They left the brothers back at the tent to sort out their differences.

SAM
When Sam was certain that the wolves couldn't hear them, he spoke.
"Stiles you know you can be totally honest with me and I won't say anything to your dad." He assured him, Stiles didn't look up but continued to scuff the tips of his shoes in the dirt as they walked. "You really like him don't you?"
"Yeah I mean, I thought it was just because he's hot and stuff but I don't really know now... I don't know if dad told you but he made me a tape." Sam raised his eyebrows.
"Like, a mixtape?" He was desperately fighting the smile attempting to spread across his face.

"Yes uncle Sam a mixtape." Stiles sighed. "And now dad's even more suspicious of him cuz it had a song on it that apparently meant he likes me too." Sam was taken aback by how much Stiles' intelligence was failing him when it came to Derek.
"Stiles you realise that tape could have had the soundtrack to Shrek on it but fact he made it for you alone is like holding a huge sign saying 'I like you' on it." Stiles stopped walking and gawped at his uncle. "Come on Stiles, you're a seriously smart kid but I think you're a little naïve when it comes to him."

The teenager resumed walking, staring intently at the ground.
"I don't think I'm being naïve... I just don't understand why a guy like a Derek would even look twice at me." It made Sam's heart hurt to see his nephew doubt himself. He halted and placed a firm hand on either of the boy's shoulders, looking him in the eye.
"Stiles, don't you ever doubt what an amazing person you are for even a second. You bring my brother and Cas so much happiness and having you as a nephew has been one of the best things to ever happen to me. You can make absolutely anyone crack a smile, Derek included and the kid obviously isn't much of a smiler." Stiles' lips quirked up in the corners at the thought.

"Since we've been here, which is only a few hours bear in mind, the guy has hardly taken his eyes off you. It doesn't matter what he's doing, when he was picking up wood for the fire if you laughed or spoke he'd look up immediately." His nephew's cheeks reddened. He stayed quiet for a moment then looked sad.
"I just don't get why dad hates him." Sam rolled his eyes.
"Dean doesn't hate him, he just hates the idea that Derek might take you away from him. You know he's always been a little over-protective. He'd wrap you up in bubble wrap and keep you on the couch if he had his way."

Stiles chuckled at his uncle's joke, except it wasn't much of a joke as it was definitely something his brother would do. "When you and Scott were gone Derek rather clearly expressed he wasn't going to do anything to you. He really appreciates that Scott can be honest about who he is with you." Stiles smiled fondly.
"Thanks uncle Sam, I guess I feel kind of better now."

His tone lightened, "You really need to come down more, you even out the craziness a little bit." Sam grinned, he knew the boy had a lot on his plate having Dean and Cas for fathers, but he also knew he was the most well cared for and loved son in the world.
"We should probably go back before Derek starts howling for you." He snorted, Stiles punched his uncle lightly on the arm.

DEREK
When Dean and Castiel had returned there was no air of conflict between them, even Dean was at ease. He'd approached him and told him that they wouldn't discuss it any further now but they had a truce until the trip was over. This had been a relief as Derek really didn't want to be tip toeing around Dean the entire weekend. He and Scott hadn't talked much but they'd established they were going to put Stiles-related issues aside until the end of the weekend and enjoy themselves.

He smelt Stiles before he saw him, his scent was relaxed and happy and it immediately rubbed off on him
The boy came through the trees into the clearing with his uncle smiling and laughing, he spotted Derek watching him and quieted, but smiled shyly at him. Jesus, he wasn't making this easy on him at all.