7: Who Even Uses Casette Tapes?

STILES
He had to hand it to his old man, he was still pretty lively. Stiles was breathing heavily, trying to keep up with Dean as they jogged through the brisk morning air in the woods.
"C'mon, kid! Keep up!" His dad grinned over his shoulder at him, not even slowing down. Stiles pushed his leg muscles to the limit in an attempt to impress the older man.

They were nearing the end of their jogging route, the sun shone brightly through the gradually thinning canopy of trees. The father and son steadily slowed to a moderately fast walk. Stiles decided now was the time to ask.
"Hey dad, you remember our camping trips we used to take?" Dean looked at him curiously, then a slow grin spread over his face, crinkles appearing in the corners of his eyes.
"Nope. Sorry kiddo, I ain't got a clue what you're talkin' about." He replied.

Stiles had hoped his dad wouldn't do this, but his wishes had not been granted. He was forced to correct himself for the sake of the plan.
"Fine, dad. You remember our Wild Winchester Weekends." He said through gritted teeth, Dean doubled over laughing.
"Yeah I know the ones." Stiles ignored the blatant ridicule and continued.

"I was thinking maybe, if you wanted to, we could have one next weekend and invite Scott. Pa too." His father's eyes shone with excitement but he scrunched his nose up.
"That sounds like an awesome idea, but are ya sure you wanna invite Pa?" He asked. Stiles winced at a flashback of the only WWW his other father ever came on.

Six year old Stiles eyed his father warily as he stood dangerously close to the edge of the small boat.
"I am certain it would be much easier to retrieve the fish if we hunted them by hand." His pa explained. Dean sighed in exasperation.
"Cas, the whole point is that it isn't quick. Fishin' is about patience and enjoying the scenery. Catching the actual fish is just a bonus." Castiel hadn't been listening and it was too late when Stiles had yelled for him to stop. Cas leant a fraction too far over the side of the boat, and capsized it.
The three had returned to the surface of the water with a variation of expressions on their faces; Dean's was frustration, Castiel's was confusion and Stiles was amusement.
"Cas, you beautiful idiot." Dean had groaned.

"As long as we keep him under control he'll be fine." Dean didn't look convinced but he shrugged.
"Well I'm up for it." Dean took off abruptly, "Race ya to the car!" He shouted and Stiles hurriedly ran after him.

After he'd showered, Stiles sat in a towel on the edge of his bed and texted Scott about he camping trip. Of course, being a literal human-canine, he was completely up for it.
'Normal camping activities only Scotty. No fetch.' Stiles chuckled at his own text before sending it.

Scott coming over for dinner after school became a regular thing, Melissa had allowed it under the condition that Stiles tutored Scott in his weaker subjects. Stiles had an average grade of an A in almost all his subjects, with the exception of English and Religious Studies in which his grade average was an A+. Scott on the other hand was a C and below student.

It was difficult to get him to concentrate, but once Stiles found a way to get him interested in the task at hand, he got the hang of things without too much difficulty. Stiles enjoyed spending time with Scott, it was like having a brother, but he'd be lying if he said the part he enjoyed most wasn't seeing Derek when he came to get Scott.

Monday, he'd stayed in the car and nodded at Stiles from the drivers seat. Tuesday, he found him leaning on the side of the Camaro and gave him another nod. Wednesday he stood at the bottom of the drive way and given him a small wave, before stopping suddenly when Scott came out.

Thursday Stiles had opened the door to Derek standing a few steps away from the porch, scratching his head and looking around.
"Hey, Stiles." He said. Stiles stood in a stupor for a moment, before saying hi back. Scott came stampeding down the stairs then skidded to a halt.
"Damn, I forgot my backpack!" He smacked his forehead and ran back up again.

Derek watched his brother until he was out of sight and then grabbed Stiles wrist and pulled something from his pocket, putting it in his hand.
"What's-" Stiles was interrupted by Scott's return, backpack slung over his shoulder. Scott bro-hugged him and yelled a thank you and goodbye to 'Mr. Dean and Mr. Castiel'.

Derek nodded curtly and walked to the car with Scott. Stiles shoved the mysterious object into his pocket and watched as the boys drove away. Upon closing the door, he retrieved the item and inspected it. It was a cassette tape, did people even use cassette tapes anymore? He turned it over in his hands and saw it had a sticky label on it.
'Stiles. D.'

Then it struck him. His dad's Impala only took cassette tapes. He snatched the keys from the pocket of his father's leather jacket hanging on the bannister and ran outside. He hastily unlocked the car and got in the passenger seat out of habit. Stiles shoved the keys in the ignition, and turned them. The Impala rattled to life and he replaced the tape that was already in the player with the one Derek had given him.

He held his breath as he waited for the music to play. A few seconds passed when the unmistakable sound of 'Smoke on the Water' by Deep Purple began to flow from the speakers. Stiles nodded his head to the music, a smile on his face.

Derek had good taste, most of the songs he'd put on the tape Stiles knew. The current song came to an end and the next started playing. He didn't recognise it straight away, but the minute Brian Johnson started singing he knew;

'She was a fast machine she kept her motor clean,
She was the best damn woman that I ever seen,
She had the sightless eyes telling me no lies,
Knocking me out with those American thighs,'

Stiles had always liked the song, but for some reason he listened to it now, the lyrics had a new meaning,

'Taking more than her share,
Had me fighting for air,
She told me to come but I was already there,'

Heat crept over Stiles' cheeks, he stopped bobbing his head and put his full attention on the music invading his ears;

'And we were making it,
And you shook me all night long,
Yeah you shook me all night long.
I'm working double time on the seduction line,
She's one of a kind and she's just mine all mine,'

Stiles yelped in fright when he heard a knock on the window, it was his dad. He opened the driver's door and got in.
"Whatcha doing kid?" He registered the song playing and began drumming his fingers to the beat.
"Just listening." He said honestly. Dean nodded but as he sat murmuring the words, a pensive look crossed his face.

"I don't have this song on tape." He stated. He ejected the tape before Stiles could stop him and turned it over in his hands. "D?" He raised his eyebrows and stared at Stiles expectantly. "As in Derek?" Stiles reddened.
"He gave it to me when he left today."

Dean hummed thoughtfully and fixed his eyes on the tape.
"Please tell me that wa'n't the only song on there?" He sighed.
"No! No, there was others... I was just listening to that one when you got in." His dad looked relieved.
"How long have you been here?" Stiles glanced at his watch.
"About an hour."
"Jesus, kid." Dean muttered. "Listen, you know I'm no good at this crap, but I can't keep letting Cas deal with the hard stuff."

"You know what it means- meant when a guy made a tape of songs for a chick? Well a guy in your case?" He asked.
"I guess not." Stiles shrugged. His dad took a deep breath.
"It meant that you like them. And with a song like that on there I'm pretty sure that's what he's tryna say, kid." Dean explained.

"Dad, you're jumping to conclusions, we were listening to music on the way home last week and he knows I like AC/DC, I'm sure he just put on there because of that."
"Riiiiiight." Dean drawled. "You think what you want to kid, but I wasn't born yesterday." The man opened the door and got out, before closing it he said "At least he's got good taste."

Stiles put the tape back in and listened to it all over again.