29: Two Noses Are Better Than One

A/N: Wondering if you guys had any ships you wanted to be in this particular story? Let me know and I'll see what I can do!

SCOTT
Scott checked his phone for what felt like the hundredth time that morning. Stiles was fifteen minutes late to pick him up and wasn't answering his phone.
"Derek?" He called out. Within seconds, Derek stood in the hallway next to him, eyeing him quizzically.

"You heard from Stiles?" He asked. The worry that flashed in Derek's eyes was unmissable.
"Why isn't he here yet?" He answered the question with a question.
"That's what I wanna know, he's not picking up."

Derek marched off and returned with a long sleeved sweater on.
"Wait here, I'm going to his house."
"I'm not waiting, I'm coming with." Scott replied stubbornly. No way was Derek going to have all the fun without him.

They slid into the Camaro and the second Scott's door closed, Derek sped off in the direction of Stiles' house.
"You don't think this is a little dramatic do you?" Scott wondered aloud. A deep crease appeared in Derek's brow.
"Absolutely not. We can't assume anything." He snapped.

Scott understood Derek's adamance, Stiles was his mate and it was understandable that he should be worried over the slightest thing. For all they knew, he could have simply overslept, but a churn in Scott's stomach and alarm flashing in the back of his mind told him to do exactly what Derek said, not assume anything.

It took them less than seven minutes to arrive outside the Winchester household and the sight was less than appeasing to their worries. A police car sat on the sidewalk and a cop was walking around the house, peering at it and writing in a notebook.

"What the hell?" Derek growled, slamming the door on his exit and storming towards the house. "I can't smell Stiles or hear his heartbeat." He muttered. Scott's heart stopped, the situation was becoming more and more worrying.

Derek banged on the door rather unceremoniously and it was answered in moments by a pale-skinned Dean. His eyes widened and eyebrows lowered threateningly when he saw the pair.
"Where the hell is my son?" He demanded.
"We came to ask the same thing sir." Derek replied calmly.

"We got worried when Stiles never showed up to drive us to school." Scott explained. Cas appeared behind Dean, his face sad and eyes moist.
"Dean let them in, I'm certain they are just as worried as we are." He sighed. Dean reluctantly stepped aside, allowing them in.

There was another cop in the living room, pad in hand, eyeing the group of men curiously.
"This is Stiles' boyfriend," Cas answered the man's curious look, gesturing to Derek and then to Scott; "And Stiles' best friend." His heart swelled at that.

"We will question you boys too if you don't mind." The cop requested, watching them sternly. Cas waved to the couch, and asked the pair if they wanted anything to drink, Derek declined and Scott asked for juice.

The cop shifted uncomfortably under Derek's intense glare. He had a rather intense dislike for cops and it didn't look like this one cared too much for he and Stiles' relationship.
"When was the last time you had contact with Stiles, Mr... I didn't catch your name?" The man addressed Derek.
"Derek Hale. I was with him yesterday afternoon at around four until around six when I dropped him home, we went to a diner."

The cop scribbled this down in his pad, one eyebrow cocked upwards.
"Which diner?"
"Mary's." Derek replied robotically.
"And did you have any kind of electronic contact with him after that?" He pressed.
"Text messages."

The cop sat there expectantly, Scott could see he wanted Derek to show him but his brother was being stubborn.
"Could I see them?" He requested. Scott glanced at Derek, who under his composed facade, was radiating embarrassment. Scott couldn't decide whether to be amused or grossed out that Derek and Stiles had messages he wouldn't want a cop to see.

"I guess so." Derek relented stiffly, unlocking his phone and handing it to the officer. Scott watched, suppressing a laugh at the man's suddenly red face and raised eyebrows. He coughed and handed Derek's phone back.
"Well I er, suppose there's nothing on there of use to us." He stammered.
"I didn't think so." Derek said icily.

The officer noted something down in his pad and straightened his shirt, turning to Scott.
"And when did you last speak to Stiles, Mr..?"
"Hale, Scott Hale." Derek snorted unexpectedly at Scott's joke.
"You two are related?" The cop asked, surprise evident in his expression.
"Brothers." Derek cut in. He nodded, adding this to his notes. He nodded for Scott to continue.

"I last talked to him at school, he called me at about eight in the evening to ask about a project we're doing together." He relayed the information, pausing to double check the time in his mind. The cop noted this and checked Scott's phone as he had Derek's.
"Do you two know of anyone who might have a reason to hurt Stiles or pull anything on him?" His tone was serious and Scott could feel it riling Derek.

For a second, Scott's mind flashed to Jackson but he was reassured he hadn't had anything to do with it by Stiles' status as the alpha's mate. It wasn't impossible that Jackson wouldn't pull anything but it was highly unlikely seeing as Stiles was growing on him, though he'd never admit it.
"Ok thanks boys. I'll let you know if anything comes up and we need your help again." He tipped his hat at them and stood, brushing off his pants.

Scott and Derek listened as he repeated this to Dean and Cas, reassuring them they'd do all they could to find Stiles then left. Once the front door had closed, the couple returned to the living room and joined the brothers. Cas still distraught looking and Dean's expression tight and straight, but his eyes wracked with sadness and worry.

"What happened?" Scott blurted. Dean hardly reacted, face distant as if he were somewhere else, but Cas spoke.
"I went to wake Stiles up this morning and he wasn't in his room. His phone was still there and none of his things were gone." Scott didn't know why Cas would assume Stiles had run away, he had an awesome family and life in general.

"I know this doesn't really help, but Stiles would never run away. He loves you guys too much." Scott smiled reassuringly. Cas smiled back weakly and Dean still didn't react.
"Thank you Scott." The four sat in an awkward, deflated silence for a while until Derek stood up, hands balled into tight fists.

"I'm going to find him. I don't care how long it takes me. I won't sleep until he's safe with me." He marched out of the room, the three listened as he ascended the stairs and Cas eyed Scott questioningly.
"He's gonna smell Stiles' room, scents will help trace him. If someone... If someone took him, Derek will smell them and be able to follow the trail. At least, if they don't know they're being traced." Scott explained. Cas nodded slowly, Dean finally perked up at this.

"Derek could sniff out the son of a bitch that did this?" He practically growled.
"He can try, and you can bet Derek won't stop trying until he finds him." Scott assured him. Dean looked a little hopeful at this.
"I guess you being wolves came in handy huh." He joked mirthlessly.
"It's not that, Derek loves Stiles. Even without wolf powers, he'd be trying just as hard." Scott wouldn't let anyone underestimate Derek, especially his love for his mate.

He got up too once he was satisfied he'd cheered the Winchester's up a little bit.
"I better go help." He grinned. "Two noses are better than one." Dean chuckled lowly.
"Thanks Scotty. You're a good kid ya know." He stood and faced Scott, a genuine smile on his face. Scott held a hand out, but Dean pushed it away and pulled him into a hug.

Scott relished the embrace, and ignored the pang of longing he felt. If only he had a real father to hug him when he did something right.

Luckily, Dean was a close second with the real care and affection his eyes bore when he pulled back to grin back at Scott.
"Let's find that damn lanky trouble magnet."