6: Dean Winchester The Sap

DEAN
When his son walked through the front door, he and Castiel stood waiting for him. He had a stupid grin on his face and didn't even notice they were there until he let out a small cough and Stiles jumped a mile in the air.
"Oh my god! You need to stop scaring the crap out of me!"
"How was dinner, son?" His husband asked. Stiles sighed.
"It was nice, I had a good time. Scott's mom is really nice."
"Oh cut the crap, Stiles." The boy in question gawped at his dad.

All he and Castiel had talked about since Stiles drove away with Derek, Scott nowhere to be seen, was how that was going to play out. Castiel glared at him, Dean wasn't a fan of beating around the bush and Cas had firmly said if they wanted Stiles to tell them anything about it, they'd have to ease it out of him.

"What your father means is, how was the drive over?" Cas ruffled his sons bristly hair and they walked into the living room together. Dean felt twinge of hurt, he'd always been jealous of his husband's natural aptitude for dealing with Stiles. He loved the boy with his entire being, more than the impala, but he could never get through to him like his angel could.

Dean allowed himself a minute to flash back to when he and Stiles were nearly inseparable. They went hunting, fishing and camping together and even running from time to time. Dean was adamant he was going to stay in shape well into his 50s. Jesus that was only 6 years away. He silently vowed to try and get Stiles back into their father/son outdoor pursuits.

Dean went to join Stiles and Cas when he heard them talking, he stopped to listen.
"He's amazing pa, he's really quiet and and kinda scary but he actually has this sarcastic sense of humour and he likes AC/DC and we listened to my favourite and the way home and although he kind of frightens me I kind of like him." Stiles' gushing was just barely coherent, Dean felt bad eavesdropping but he knew the minute he walked in there Stiles would clam up.

Cas spoke;
"Stiles, I'm sure all this is true but you must be careful. Derek Hale is very different to his brother, he's also four years older than you."
"Pa I didn't say I liked him like that." Stiles sounded affronted. Dean may not be able to emotionally connect with his son but he sure knew how to read him like a book. Stiles didn't explicitly say he didn't like Derek because Cas would know he was lying.

"Neither did I, Stiles. I'm just warning you to be careful." Dean chose that moment to join his family.
"What did I miss, kid?" Dean tried to sound casual.
"He likes AC/DC, dad." Stiles tone had changed, it was tinged with hints of defensiveness.
"Hm maybe the kids not so bad then." Dean mused, dissimulating that he hadn't already heard. Stiles raised his eyebrows, his face an image of astonishment.

Stiles glanced between his fathers suspiciously.
"Did he have a few beers when I left?" He asked. Cas and Dean laughed in unison

STILES
After watching some documentary about medieval churches that his pa relentlessly corrected, Stiles headed upstairs to his room. He thought about how strangely neutral his dad had been in regards to Derek, when he'd left the man had been dead set on cracking jokes about everything and anything involving Derek, or 'Big Hale' as he'd taken to calling him. Frankly, it made Stiles a little on edge. When Dean Winchester developed a sudden change in attitude it usually meant he knew something.

There was a sharp rapping on his door.
"Yeah pa?" The voice that travelled through the wood was not Castiel's.
"It's dad." Stiles didn't respond, his dad entered anyway. "What's up kid?" He asked sitting on the edge of the bed, arms behind him supporting his reclined back.
"Uh not much?" Stiles was unsure how to reply, it was far from frequent that his dad came in for 'sitting on the bed' talks. The older man continued.

"So... I guess I was thinking we don't hang out much anymore."
"You would be guessing correctly." Stiles goaded.
"Hey, less of the sass. That's Cas' area of expertise." They shared a grin at their inside joke at the expense of Castiel. "Anyway, I was kinda wonderin' if you wanted to go for a run tomorrow?" Stiles felt a warm feeling in his chest, he and Dean hadn't gone for a run in a long time to say the least. A light switch clicked in his head, Derek ran too, maybe if he got good at it he could weasel his way into joining him. And Scott, of course.

"Sure, that'd be cool." His father looked surprised momentarily then re-assumed his nonchalant facade. Stiles knew that Dean felt bad for not spending as much time with him. He felt a little guilty too, he hadn't exactly been enthusiastic about his previous offers to go on one of their Wild Winchester Weekends as Dean called them.

"Ok well... Awesome. I'll wake ya up tomorrow and we'll go." They bumped fists and Dean paused for a second, before pulling Stiles in for a rare hug. Stiles was taken aback, he hadn't hugged his dad in a long time. Dean Winchester was a 'no sappiness' kind of guy, but it felt incredibly good to be held by him. His dad let go and stood, nodding at him awkwardly before leaving the room. Stiles went to sleep that night with a smile on his face.

CASTIEL
Castiel was sat up in bed, resting against his pillows, reading when his husband entered the room. Dean had an absentminded smile draped on his relaxed features.
"Did you just talk to Stiles?" He asked, he'd heard voices down the hall. Dean seemed to exit a stupor and acknowledged him, he pulled off his t-shirt.

"Yeah, got the kid to come on a run with me tomorrow."
"You haven't done that in a long time. Approximately a month to be exact." Dean sighed and Cas' eyes drifted to the man's built chest rising and falling.
"Yeah ok I get it Cas. I'm not exactly a pro-dad." Castiel immediately felt bad, he didn't realise that's how Dean saw it.

He watched intently as he pulled his jeans off, standing only in his boxers. Castiel couldn't help but admire the man he'd fallen in love with. 44 years old and still muscular, with a little to no facial wrinkles.

"You're not a bad father, Dean." He consoled. Dean slid into the blue sheets, wrapping his strong arms around him. He nuzzled his nose in the crook of Castiel's neck, inhaling deeply, the hairs on Cas' neck spiked. He planted a light kiss there and looked him in the eye.
"Wanna reward me for it?" His lover smirked. Cas grinned back and melted into him.