Faeries D

Daoine Maithe - Also known as "The Good People"; there is a question as to whether they're angels or faeries, since they were present at the Biblical Fall, but did not fall. It's generally assumed that they are awaiting salvation.

Daoine Sidhe - This is the name assumed by the Tuatha de Danann when the Milesians drove them underground. Their King is Finvarra, who to this day holds court in his palace beneath the faery hill of Knockma. They are skilled chess players, and no human has ever beaten Finvarra in a game. Finvarra is a womanizer, frequently kidnapping human women. The Daoine Sidhe are also quite fond of hurling; an odd cross between hockey and lacrosse.

Devas - They are most often seen not as a body, but as a faint golden glow clinging to healthy, well-cared for plants. It is thought that they often guide medical researchers who look for beneficial medical properties in plants. If a plant is neglected, the Deva will abandon it.

Dinnshenchas - Dwarf faeries in the service of the Irish Goddess Aine, who is both a cattle Goddess and a Goddess who protects women. They have been said to shape shift into any form to help average women harmed by men. They also guard cattle.

Disir - These are spirits who attach themselves to a particular place, usually man made, like houses. Especially old houses. They are generally feminine ancestral spirits.

Domoviyr - Male elves, who like their cousins, the Brownies, live in human homes which they protect with fierce loyalty. They have jealous natures, and are especially watchful of poultry meats, which are their favorite foods.

Dracs - In their natural state, Dracs appear as great floating purple blobs in the surface of the water. They can also be seen in the form of a golden chalice or in a female human form. They are always on the lookout for human males to take in as mates. They appear as beautiful women to lure them in. They also appear as a golden chalice on the surface of the water, which is highly attractive to avaricious humans. When the men reach down unsuspectingly to grab the prize, they are dragged under to the Drac kingdom.

Drakes - Drakes have never been seen by the human eye, but have been smelled. They're benevolent house spirits who will bless your hearth and multiply and keep your firewood dry in exchange for living in your home. If they are not welcomed, they will just leave, and not one of them has been known to react negatively to human mistreatment.

Dryads - Tree-dwelling, playful, female creatures. They seem open to human contact, but are very capricious, and it would be hard to tell if one was in the mood to help, play, or just tease. Dryads prefer to live in willow trees, and are seen as not more than enchanting wisps of pure light, sometimes gently colored.

Duendes - These solitary faeries appear as middle-aged women in green robes. They are small and sly, and their fingers look like long icicles. They are extremely jealous of the human condition, and that can override all other concerns. Duendes seek to harm and destroy humans whenever possible, and fortunately few of them are left.

Dwarfs - They are short, usually bearded and appear to be very old. Their aged appearance seems to be caused by the fact that they reach maturity at age three. They exist mainly in the mines in Germany , and in the mountains of Scandinavia . They are sensitive about showing their feet since they're usually deformed in some way. If you're curious about their feet, the only way to get an idea is to put flour, ash, or something of that sort in their path, and look at the footprints left. Dwarves can't be above ground during the day since sunlight turns them to stone. Some people say they exist as toads during the day and assume their usual dwarfish form at night.

Dybbuk - Evil Jewish spirits whose sole purpose is invading bodies of humans to cause them to do evil or make mischief.