Faeries K

Kachina - Ancestor spirits of the Pueblo Indians in North America . The Hopi also believed in Kachinas, believing them to be the souls of virtuous dead people.

Kelpies - These small, bulbous-shaped faeries with huge teeth and painted ears are sly, stupid, and extremely foul-tempered. These cannibalistic faeries once densely populated the North Sea and all the lochs of Scotland . They have limited shape shifting powers and can appear as friendly seahorses and allow passing humans to mount them so that they may be drowned, or as handsome young men to lure young girls to them. However, they can be detected when in the shape of a young man, because they're unable to keep their hair from appearing like seaweed.

Killmoulis - He's an ugly Brownie who haunts mills. He has an enormous nose and a missing mouth. He eats by stuffing the food into his nostrils. He works for the miller but he plays pranks so often that he is more of a nuisance than a help.

Klaboutermannikins - These are invisible faeries who inhabit the figurehead of any ships which they choose to protect. They guarded the ship from sickness, rocks, storms, and dangerous winds. If a ship with one of these faeries aboard sank, the faery sank with it and then aided the souls of the sailors out of the waters and into the Land of the Dead.

Knockers - These are the most popular faeries in Cornwall . They're dwarf faeries who live in the mines and caves of the region and like to play games and aid respectful miners. They get their name from the knocking sound they make when directing miners to a rich vein. They're always accurate, though sometimes they scatter their knocking just to play games with the miners who regard them as friends. Frantic knocking in any mine is a warning of imminent danger, and Cornish miners won't go into a mine after they are warned off by Knockers.

Kobolds - These are the German version of Knockers. They're known for causing problems for the miners and undoing their progress. To keep the miners guessing, they occasionally help them.

Kolbalds - Pronounced "Coe-bolds"; they're dwarf faeries who can be very helpful but will turn abusive if ignored or belittled. They're a German version of the Scottish Brownie, though they have a less helpful nature. Alone or in small groups they adopt homes where they will live, expecting the full benefits of the household even if they do not choose to work for their keep.

Korreds - These Elvin creatures always appear to be male. They have hairy bodies, spindly legs, and bird-like arms, but sport huge heads in comparison. They're the faery guardians of the dolmens (stone altars) and standing stones of Celtic Brittany. Faery lore says that it was the Korreds themselves who brought the stones to Brittany and erected them.

Kubera - King of the Yakshas, the god of wealth. Usually depicted as a dwarfish figure with a paunch, bearing a money bag or pomegranate and sealed on a man.

Kul - A water spirit of the Eskimos in the Artic, Kul may be malevolent but generally helps the Northern people with their fishing. As a show of gratitude, it is customary to offer him some of the fish caught at the beginning of the season.