Faery Quotes Pt.1

SEERS, or Men of the SECOND SIGHT,...have very terrifying Encounters with [the FAIRIES, they call Sleagh Maith, or the Good People].

- The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)

[The Sleagh Maith, or the Good People, are] terrifyed by nothing earthly so much as by cold Iron.

- The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)

[Faeries] could make themselves seen or not seen at will. And when they took people they took the body and soul together. - The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries

by W Y. Evans-Wentz (1911)

"When you will be King of Summer she will be your queen. Of this your mother, Queen Beira, has full knowledge, and it is her wish to keep you away from [her], so that her own reign may be prolonged."

- Wonder Tales from Scottish Myth and Legend by Donald Alexander

Mackenzie

(1917)

These Subterraneans have Controversies, Doubts, Disputes, Feuds, and Siding of Parties.

- The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)

The sight of a soutane [priest's cassock], or the sound of a bell, puts [the faeries] to flight.

- The Fairy Mythology by Thomas Keightley (1870)

The fairies, beside being revengeful, are also very arrogant, and allow no interference with their old-established rights. - Ancient Legends, Mystic Charms, and Superstitions of Ireland by Lady Francesca Speranza Wilde (1887)

A Cornish woman who chanced to find herself the guardian of an elf-child was given certain water with which to wash its face...and the woman ventured to try it upon herself, and in doing so splashed a little into one eye. This gave her the fairy sight.

- Legends and Romances of Brittany by Lewis Spence (1917)

The "fair folk" were

most skilled in

music, and ... of the great enchantments and allurements to stay with them was their music.

- Notes on the Folk-Lore of the North-East of Scotland by WalterGregor(1881)

Sometimes they contrived to induce, by their fair and winning ways, unwary men and women to go with them. - Notes on the Folk-Lore of the North-East of Scotland byWalterGregor(1881)

[The Sidhe] are shape-changers; they can grow small or grow large, they can take what shape they choose;...they are as many as the blades of grass. They are everywhere.

- Visions and Beliefs m the West of Ireland

by Lady Augusta Gregory (1920)

Folks say that the only way to avoid their fury is to hunt a branch of verbena and bind it with a five-leaved clover. This is magic against all disaster.

- Folk Tales of Brittany by Elsie Masson (1929)

Everything is capricious about them...Their chief occupations are feasting,

fighting, and making

love.

- Fairy and Folk Tales of the Irish Peasantry by William Butler Yeats (1888)

Fairies seem to [be] especially fond of the chase. - The Folk-Lore of the Isle of Man by A. W

Moore (1891)

They live much longer than we; yet die at last, or [at] least vanish from that State.

- The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)

They transgress and commit Acts of Injustice, and Sin...

For the Inconvenience of their Succubi, who tryst with Men, it is abominable.

- The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)

Once they take you and you taste the food...you cannot come back. You are changed...and live with them for ever. - The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries by W. Y. Evans-Wentz (1911)

They are not subject to sore Sicknesses, but dwindle and decay at a certain Period...Some say their continual Sadness is because of

their pendulous state.

- The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)

[Faeries] are partly human and partly spiritual in their nature...

Some of them are benevolent...

Others are malevolent...

abducting grown people, and bringing misfortune.

- The Folk-Lore of the Isle of Man by A. W. Moore (1891)

[They offered] him drink...after, the music ceasing, all the company disappeared, leaving the cup in his hand, and he returned home, though much wearied and fatigued.

- The Fairy Mythology by Thomas Keightley (1870)

The Fairy then dropped three drops of a precious liquid on her companion's left eyelid, and she beheld a most delicious country...From this time she possessed the faculty of discerning the Fairy people as they went about invisibly.

- The Fairy Mythology by Thomas Keightley (1870)

[A] woman of the Sidhe (the faeries) came in, and said that the

[girl] was chosen to be the bride of the prince of the dim kingdom, but that as it would never do for his wife to grow old and die while he was still in the first ardour of his love, she would be gifted with a faery life.

- The Celtic Twilight by William Butler Yeats (1893, 1902)

He is no less a personage than the King of Faerie...Very numerous indeed are [his subjects] and very various are they in their natures. He is the sovereign of those beneficent and joyous beings...who dance in the moonlight.

- The Mabinogion (notes) by Lady Charlotte Guest (1877)

The fairies, as we know, are greatly attracted by the beauty of mortal women, and...the king employs his numerous sprites to find out and carry [them] off when possible.

- Ancient Legends, Mystic Charms, and Superstitions of Ireland by Lady Francesca Speranza Wilde (1887)

If we could love and hate with as good heart as the faeries do, we might grow

to be long-lived like them.

-The Celtic Twilight by William Butler Yeats (1893, 1902)

Citizens of Faery have one supreme quality in common- that of single-mindedness.

- Fames by Gertrude M. Faulding (1913)

They are said to have aristocratical Rulers and Laws, but no discernible Religion.

- The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)

Their favourite camp and resting-place is under a hawthorn tree...[which is] sacred to the fairies, and generally [stands] in the centre of a fairy ring.

- Ancient Legends, Mystic Charms, and Superstitions of Ireland by Lady Francesca Speranza Wilde (1887)

Never was there any one so beautiful as [he].... The wolves did not ravage, the frost winds did not bite, and the Hidden Folk came out of the Faery Hills and made music and gladness everywhere.

-Celtic Wonder Tales by Ella Young (1910)