Faeries M

Mab - She's the traditional queen of the faeries.

Mal-de-Mer - They've never been described or even seen by a human. They live in the sea near Cornwall and Brittany and prey on ships.

Masseriol - Pronounced "Mahs-air-ee-oel"; he dresses all in red, has an elderly face, and a booming laugh that is somewhere between the cry of a horse and a goat. He can be helpful, but he has a very high opinion. They've been known to occasionally help out on farms as long as they don't have to get themselves dirty. They can also be of help in the kitchen when one of them has taken a shine to the lady of the house.

Mazikeen - Winged faeries who can't fly. They are often mistaken for angels, but they are faeries whose soul purpose is to steal food and drink for their endless revelries. They don't need sleep and can party all the time.

Menehunas - Pronounced "Mi-nee-nahs"; they're the most well-known faeries in Polynesia , and are seen as Elves in native dress who live in tropical forests. They can be tricksters, but they will also serve humans. Like the Leprechauns, they guard a crock of treasure and can grant wishes if they're caught. They have also been known to help lost travelers find their way out of the jungles, and some accounts say they have even provided fresh water and food for these people.

Menihuni - Also known as "Menehune"; the Hawaiian little people. Islanders believe they're responsible for the events that can't be explained. One example being if someone finished a task more quickly than expected, the Menihuni were credited for the unexplainable speed. Example two being that if something was so old that no one knew who built it, it must have been the Menihuni.

Merpeople - Commonly called Mermen and Marmaids, depending upon their gender. They have the lower bodies of fish and the upper bodies and heads of humans. They appear as adult males and females of great beauty, but no children have ever been slighted. They are usually friendly and are slow to anger, but their ire can be aroused by persons who desecrate and pollute their home. Occasionally Mermaids wish to take human mates, but Mermen rarely take human brides. They seem to have trouble reproducing themselves and may need human males to further their race. Merpeople are excellent parents who cherish and protect their young.

Merrows - They are the Irish Merpeople. They wear red feather caps, and if their caps are stolen, they can't return to the depths of the sea where they live. Female Merrows are beautiful and to see one is an omen of a storm. They are benevolent and often fall in love with fishermen, probably because the male Merrows are so repulsive. Makes are, however, generally friendly. They often come ashore in the form of small, hornless cattle.

Moerae - These faeries of Greece usually appear in groups of three representing a young girl, a middle-aged woman, and an old woman, or else they appear just as three middle-aged women. They are neither helpful nor harmful to humans, but dispense fate as they see fit. They determine the fate of children.

Monaciello - Pronounced "Moe-nah-see-ail-oh". That means "little monk", which is how their hooded cloak-dress makes them appear. He always wears red and is always drunk, but is not unfriendly. They have merry personalities and they like to steal human clothing for sport.

Moss People - Are both male and female and have large butterfly wings attached to lithe bodies that look mostly human. They're very beautiful creatures, though hard to detect in the wild, where they tend to hide in moss and other dark wood foliage. They're shy of people and very capricious. Moss People are good luck to have around. Keep their environment clean and natural if you wish to continue to have them.

Mother Holle - An older woman, but not elderly. Her hair is long and black, and she wears a dark green robe. There is only one of her, and she is neither good nor evil, but dispenses justice fairly as she sees fit. She spends her days at her spinning wheel, and gives advice when asked and can instantly divine the future. She rewards those who are industrious, especially while in her service. She's most disposed to aiding young women.

Muireartach - She is a one of a kind old woman who is bald, has jagged teeth, a blue-gray complexion, and one great eye. Her intent has always been painted as malevolent, but this is unclear.

Mumiai - Best known for persecuting peasants, especially those of the lowest castes, who had stolen from their neighbors or demonstrates their dirty habits. The Mumiai toss their belongings in the air, break their pottery and trample on their gardens, finally forcing them to move out of their villages.

Murdhuachas - Pronounced "Mer-oo-khas"; one of several races of Irish sea faeries, and are often mistaken for Merpeople. Like Merpeople, they have fish-like lower bodied, but rather than having human upper bodies, they have the upper bodies and heads of other mammals. Their temperament is ambivalent. They've been known to be helpful in locating fish or in finding one's home port on a fog-shrouded night. They've been just as well known to turn nasty and lure sailors to their death on coastal rocks with their haunting songs.

Muryans - It's the Cornish word for "ant". They are the souls of those sent to Purgatory. Their souls dwindle in size until they're the size of ants, and then they disappear, and no one knows where they go after that.