5 Yesterday

As Sam was pulling the large cola out of the grocery bag, the cell phone that was also in his hand buzzed and somehow his useless hands dropped both the cola and the phone.

"I don't even know how the hell I did that." he said after a long sigh.

Sam cursed his horrid coordination, bad reflexes, horrible luck, and whoever was calling him at the moment. The cola was shaken, but he planned on putting it in the fridge anyway and his phone was still in good shape despite the horrible fall it took. This day just wasn't going well for him, but it was just a microcosm of his life as a whole. Where was his life headed? Suddenly, he didn't know. He was feeling fine until his immature girlfriend decided to break up with him for the umpteenth time. That wasn't the bad part. He was fine with removing her from his life. All she ever brought him was confusion and some ridiculously high standards that even she didn't understand. And he was at the point now where even getting laid wasn't worth dealing with her BS. So he would've ended it soon himself if she hadn't.

The bad part about the whole breakup was her deciding to do it over the phone while he was out grocery shopping even when he told her he'd talk about it later once he got home. She wouldn't stop talking to let him get a word in and that's all he could do was listen to her yap about how much of a little boy he was and how he needed to grow up and outgrow videogames. Not like it was his job to play the damn games. Not like he was using the cash from the jobs to further his art and design career. Not like he was making important contacts in the games industry with each and every job that he worked. No, he was simply wasting his time being a kid and not pursuing a real career, whatever that meant. To a small degree, she was right, because he sat on the phone and listened to her crap, like a good little boy, for over an hour whilst angrily plodding through the store with his tiny basket. The five items he'd gathered by the end of the call did not warrant an hour long stay roaming the aisles.

By the time he got home to his apartment, he was already exhausted. Today was supposed to be a good day. He wanted a good start and a good mood going into tomorrow's gig since he counted on it being a fun one, but of course she had to ruin it. He stared at his phone on the kitchen floor and waited for it to stop ringing before he picked it up. He had no desire to talk to his ex, Michelle, again or ever so he put the phone on the table with the projector facing downwards. He first put up the cola and the rest of his groceries then put the bags in the recycler under the counter. He finally picked up his phone after and checked to see who called, in case it wasn't Michelle. It was actually his sister, Rui, who'd called and was now calling right back. He answered on the first ring.

"Hello."

"You're too good to answer my first call now?" His sister sounded like a pixie. The phone couldn't contain her crazy energy. Her voice came through so loud, he had to move the phone away from his ear a little.

"Come on Ru, I don't need your shit right now too."

He decided to put the phone on the table to project her image.

"Project, Ru!" he yelled. He then sat down and watched the phone project his darling little sister as an aqua blue 3D image. She was lying down somewhere, probably her bed or the living room sofa, with an annoyed look on her face.

"Project, Butt Head!" she yelled, annoying Sam with the way she changed his name in her contacts list.

"Lighten up jerk. You know I'm just kidding. What's wrong with you anyway?" she asked sitting up and pushing the hair from her face.

"I don't want to talk about it, to be honest." he said after a long sigh.

"You don't have to. I can hear it in your voice. It's Michelle again, isn't it?"