2:7 Glitch Fiends

"So, Mr. Jackson, you were the first one to notice this—what did Mr. Nagai call it—Glitch Fiend. What can you tell me about it?"

Thomas nervously tapped the side of Alex's swivel chair.

"I probably know less about this thing than you do, sir."

Milner pulled the chair he'd procured closer to Thomas and leaned in so his face was right in front of Thomas'.

"Humor me and don't be shy. I already know you've accessed more of the code than I authorized."

Thomas could feel himself already sweating.

"Well, sir, I was alerted to this earlier actually. It occurred when Sam fought one of the Golemites. I believe that too was infected by a malicious program."

"How so?"

"It was the same scenario really, but on a smaller scale. That time it successfully raised the defensive values of the Golemite so much that Sam could only do a single point of damage with each hit, but once he defeated it, there was no sign of that code anywhere."

"Why do you think that is?"

I don't fucking know.

"Maybe it was because it was a weaker version of the same program or perhaps it was incompatible with the Golemite's code."

Thomas' fidgeting intensified the longer Milner's eyes stayed glued to him.

"What else do you know about it?"

Should I say? I mean, he already knows I've been through his code. What do I have to lose now?

"Uhh...it looks like it infects other programs, like A.I. and even developer tools."

"What does?"

"Those—uh—hidden programs, they have code in them written in a strange script. That same code was visible throughout when the uh...what'd you call it?"

"Glitch Fiend."

"Yeah, when the Glitch Fiend was active. I noticed that those same programs were active too."

"What do you think that means?"

"I don't know, sir."

"Are you sure?"

Milner's blank stare turned into a predatory search. Thomas felt exposed. The only thing that gave him some slight relief was the fact that he was telling the truth.

"Yes, I'm sure. I don't even know if that code is in a language that anyone other than the creator can read. I certainly can't. I wish I could though."

"You find it interesting, don't you?"

Thomas paused for a moment then nodded his head.

"It's not exactly normal code, sir. And to witness what I just seen it do would make anyone just a little curious."

"No, Mr. Jackson, you are wrong. Most would be terrified and only a few would have a curiosity so strong that it would lead them to the depths of hell, but you possess that curiosity, don't you?"

Thomas could hardly breathe as Milner's grinned stretched upwards. It was like looking at a creature that wanted to devour his very soul.

"I just want to help out where I can sir," Thomas said unable to hide his shallow breathing.

"Don't worry. I have a most important task for you. You will continue to monitor Mr. Nagai and the other two players and if need be, you will use the systems that we've created to assist against any further attacks against any of their systems. Pay close attention to Mr. Nagai. I get the feeling that if this were to happen again, he would have the highest chance of affected by it."