2:13 Bridge the Gap

Sam couldn't see the golems that were crushing the life out of him, but he could feel his body being lifted up high and soon he felt a rush of air sweep over his body after being thrown right out of a large gap in the wall. He crashed into the ground hard after falling four stories, breaking his left arm. He cried out, clutching his arm and writhing on the ground. He tried to collect himself as the pain spread over his body and saw that golems were shuffling towards him from all directions. His HP was also nearing critical levels.

As he pulled himself off the ground, he heard a crashing sound coming from above. He glanced up to see the two golems who'd thrown him out of the window along with a third larger golem all falling through floor after floor, the strain of their combined weight too much for the medieval architecture. The stone mage floated down after them and landed softly on the ground in front of Sam with a triumphant grin on its face. With his right hand, Sam held his Corseque up in front of him in a meager defense. The mage laughed and pointed to Sam's left, where a handful of golems were only twelve meters away. The mage nearly disappeared into the crowd of golem's coming from the east. Sam could barely make out his cloak in the crowd, thankfully the red accents caught his eye.

He didn't have a lot of time to think about his next move. The golems would all be in striking distance in roughly half a minute. At the moment all he could think to do was heal, until he remembered that critical health could come in handy for him thanks to his current equipment. With his only other choices being fighting until inevitably overrun and killed by golems or waiting until they caught and crushed him to death, Sam opted to try the third option even though he knew he was in for a lot of pain.

His HP was just above the ten percent critical HP threshold. He needed to take just a little more damage for the special effect of his Hare Ring to proc. He rested the Corseque against his shoulder and pulled his Blighted Dagger from its sheathe. After taking a deep breath, he plunged the blade deeply into his left bicep. His screams halted the golems' advance if only briefly. He only stopped and put his dagger away once there was no more feeling in his arm and it was declared unusable. As soon as his HP dipped below the ten percent critical threshold, he was bathed in a perpetual white wind. He instantly felt a change in his movements. He felt like he was moving twice as fast as he picked up his Corseque and dashed to the east where he'd last seen the mage. If there was a way to get these golems off of his back, it would most likely lay with the mage.

He weaved through the shuffling horde, the marching mass of sentient rock, and spotted mage through the throng. Even with his speed advantage, Sam found himself in increasing peril as the space between each golem tightened forcing him to squeeze through each enemy. He slipped out of the horde and down a side street before he could be caught and crushed. He dashed to the next street thankfully finding it a little easier to navigate with less golems. The golem in front of him threw a wild backhand. Sam ducked it and continued east, after the mage. The closer he got to the mage, the more the golems seemed to respond to him. They became quicker, fiercer, more alive.

Two of the golems made of the larger stones, stood side by side in the middle of the street. The only way past them was to slide under their legs or dash by on the side of them. Sam took the safer route.

"Don't want to be crushed to death by golem pelvis," Sam said shuddering at the thought. He ran to the right hand side of the golems and was nearly hemmed against the wall when its elbow shot out of nowhere. He held the shaft of his Corseque up in time to block the worst of it and lowered himself to the ground before he could be crushed. He scurried out from under the golem's arm and scrambled like mad out of its attack range. His stamina was nearly depleted by the time he reached the next group of golems. He was forced to slow his pace or risk collapsing in front of the enemies.