13 The Gift of Sinning

The king's Skyward Thrust Technique was more difficult for Sam to learn than the Sword Uppercut was. Mimicking the king's intricate movements was the most difficult part. This time, the piercing blow required a lot of forward movement on Sam's part. He had to start the Technique leading with his off foot in front and then lunge forward with his right foot in front of him while thrusting his sword into the air with his right hand. There was a trick to the thrust too.

"You can't do it exactly how I do it," said the king. "Our weapons are too dissimilar. Thrusting like I do with my greatsword isn't going to help you."

He hadn't instructed Sam on what to change to make the Technique work and that left Sam to practicing it for a while to figure it out. The main difference between Sam's Rapier and the king's greatsword was size. The king punched forward with his thrust, effectively relying on his great power to obliterate all that stood ahead of him with a single blow. Sam didn't have anywhere near the amount of strength that the king had, so he had to rely on his skill instead, even with a powerful Technique like the Skyward Thrust. Once he had that in mind, he seemed to visualize his next move perfectly when he closed his eyes. Now he just had to feel it out and perform it flawlessly.

He got into position and practiced a few normal thrusts. Then he built up the power of his Burning Soul, that feeling of complete power, of victory. Thanks to his visualization, he instinctively knew what to do next.

Is that something that the game programs in us, he thought, the ability to visualize these Techniques? It doesn't matter.

He led the Technique with his left foot and lunged forward with his right, this time he swiftly upturned his wrist and let loose three quick rapid stabs followed by a powerful final blow that he had to completely extend his body into. The whole time he felt rooted to the spot and as strong as stone. During the Technique each of the stabs resulted in a fiery glow on the tip of his Rapier and the final elongated stab caused the whole sword to glow like an ember. Sam's body had also been briefly engulfed in the glow whilst performing the move.

New Soul Burning Technique Learned. Gained Skyward Thrust.

Replace Current Skill? Yes No

Sam chose yes. It was strange, but somehow he was able to equip the Technique without having any attunement slots. But, he still had to remember to occasionally put some points into attunement so that he could equip multiple Techniques or a Spellcraftes, should he find any good ones. For now the Skyward Thrust seemed to suit him more.

"Good, very good. You have learned my Technique well and made it your own."

"Thank you, king! I feel stronger already."

The king laughed and put his own sword away.

"You should. That very Technique has been used to slay the most foul and fearsome beasts in our land. My own ancestor used it to slay the tri-headed crimson beast of legend. Make sure that you aren't the only bearer of this Technique to leave this plane in abject mediocrity."

Sam was determined not to be. He gave the king a quick nod and thought of the many uses he'd have for his two new Techniques. He needed to practice them ASAP. Now, he had favored the Skyward Thrust, because it was a multi-hit thrust Technique with great range. The Skyward Thrust used more of the magic gauge, which Sam now knew was called Soul Power. Each stab from the Technique drained a little of the gauge, with the final power stab taking slightly less SP than the entire Sword Uppercut. The Sword Uppercut was a quicker attack though.

"Now go. This forest is large and the easiest way to find Rondo is to take separate paths to the fiend. I will leave my sign in the forest. If you find him or are in dire need of my help, use my sign to call me. I too am a Walker."