2:19 Grinding for Contracts

Sam gathered all his equipment in preparation to bid master Ji goodbye. Before he left, he decided to purchase the Mid Scroll. He didn't think he'd be using it anytime soon since Ji had already taught him so much, but he did like keeping his options open. After receiving the scroll, he placed it in his sack, and equipped all his equipment.

"So you're off in the dead of night?"

"No rest for the wicked, eh?"

Ji offered up a smile somewhat reluctantly. Sam had to remind himself that this woman wasn't real. At the moment her well programmed humanity and beauty were captivating him.

"That is the saying, but I imagine there is a purpose behind your flight."

"I'm on the hunt."

"For what exactly," she asked.

"I'm collecting rocks and pelts for a merchant. I need a looooooot of them."

"I see. You certainly have the right strategy. Many of the silver-furred beasts are most active during the night and of course the valley golems are everywhere. I don't see you as the type who toils for profit."

If only you knew about my day job, lady. I've sold my soul to more shovelware companies than I care to admit for some ramen money.

"I'm only doing this so that the merchant parts with something I need going forward. It'll be a big help once I go into that castle."

"The castle. So you've seen it."

Sam scoffed.

"I nearly went into it until that damn knight got all up in my grill."

"The golem knights, I've heard that they are fearsome foes indeed, faster than a monster made of stone should be and as skilled as any seasoned warrior. If that is what you're up against then you were right to come to me for training. Hopefully what you've learned here will be enough when combined with your Pierce pyromancy."

"Does Pierce work on metal armor?"

"It depends on the thickness of the plate. It certainly won't work on shields."

"Damn."

Another idea popped into Sam's head as they were talking.

"Once I'm done with my little quest, would you be interested in helping me clear that castle."

"No," she said with no hesitation. "My interests have nothing to do with that castle."

"Sounds like you're scared," Sam taunted.

"There are some truly frightening opponents inside of that castle. Rumors tell of them, and the vulgar pull that comes from their souls calls all sorts of ne'er-do-wells and miscreants, but no. I am not 'scared'. I've already gotten what I needed from this valley so I won't be here long."

"Where are you going?"

"Back through the forest and up to the City of Fire, where my true objective lies."

"What is your true objective, Ji?"

"It is something that I must accomplish alone. I am sorry, but I cannot tell you."

"Must be important."

"It is. That's why it looks like this is will be our final meeting."

That suddenly made Sam very sad. Being with Ji, it made him feel as safe as he'd been so far in the game.

"For now," Sam said sounding more hopeful than he intended.

"I have enjoyed our time together."