29

Luke breathed heavily as he was seated on the couch in the living room. He ran his fingers over the small wine red velvet box in his hand and bit his bottom lip as he studied it.

A folder was placed in his lap, filled with papers who could either make or break Luke's life. After a two hour long meeting with his lawyer - who was surprised Ashton wasn't with him - Luke had signed all the papers all by himself, shaking when letting the pen hit the paper.

"It will be fine, Luke" she had told him and smiled warmly, but Luke wasn't sure if that was true. He wanted to believe that everything would end up fine, but he was still unsure. He didn't know if Ashton would ever forgive him.

But Luke knew he couldn't live with Ashton leaving him. He couldn't make it out alive with another broken heart.

He put down the velvet box and took a deep breath before running a hand through his hair. He was nervous of the outcome of all of this. Luke loved Ashton so much, and it pained him to have to work so hard for making up for such an idiotic mistake.

The mistake could easily have not been made, but of course Luke had to mess everything up to the point where he no longer could see his future anymore. The only future Luke could focus on now was making it through the day.

Michael and Calum had helped him though. They had talked to him and boosted his confidence, even though it was just a bit. They had picked up the kids and went to their apartment, making sure Luke would have time alone with Ashton; to talk and to make things clear.

To make Ashton sure Luke was all his.

Luke held his breath and stood up from the couch when hearing the lock on the door getting unlocked. Luke quickly reached for the velvet box and put it in the back pocket of his jeans before hearing the door opening.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before walking out to the hallway and watched Ashton take off his jacket and shoes. Luke watched the older boy with his bottom lip between his teeth, biting down harshly to not let his nerves show.

Ashton finally hung up his jacket and turned around to stop in his movements, getting slightly surprised seeing the blonde stand there and watching him. Luke didn't say anything, so Ashton pursed his lips and looked around the apartment to avoid the blonde's eyes.

"Where are the kids?" Ashton asked and walked past Luke to get to the kitchen. Luke bit his lip harder when following Ashton, and cleared his throat before answering him.

"They're with Michael and Calum"

"Why?" Ashton asked and turned around to furrow his eyebrows at Luke.

"Because, um," Luke started and ran a hand through his hair, feeling the velvet box burn in his pocket, before speaking again, "Because I wanted some time alone with you"

Ashton stopped what he was doing and leaned against the kitchen counter, putting his head in his hands and sighed heavily.

"Why?" he asked again, making Luke's chest ache.

"I want to talk to you. I need to talk to you. I have some things to come clean about. Please" Luke pleaded and watched Ashton rub his face with his hands.

"Haven't you told me what you wanted already? I don't need you to repeat what happened, I can't take hearing it one more time" Ashton mumbled while keeping his eyes locked on one of the drawings Peach and Leon had done. He was still avoiding Luke's eyes, making the blonde sigh quietly.